Actually owning a boat

Wansworth

Visit site
Getting pretty close to actually owning a boat and having done so previously over many years this latest venture. will stir me from my armchair and iPad s to confront the reality.But before I make the final step I still have doubts about the whole boat owning thing and weighing up the good bits against the bad bits that I know will come with a secondhand boat.All the gizmos that have worked perfectly for the previous owner start to fail.There is still time to step back and carry on gardening and live vicariously engine problems,leaks worrying knocking noises and howling gales at two in the morning wondering if the”boat” is alright..??

nortada

Visit site
Getting pretty close to actually owning a boat and having done so previously over many years this latest venture. will stir me from my armchair and iPad s to confront the reality.But before I make the final step I still have doubts about the whole boat owning thing and weighing up the good bits against the bad bits that I know will come with a secondhand boat.All the gizmos that have worked perfectly for the previous owner start to fail.There is still time to step back and carry on gardening and live vicariously engine problems,leaks worrying knocking noises and howling gales at two in the morning wondering if the”boat” is alright..??
If you are not sure, don’t do it.

Stemar

Visit site
The only logical thing to do about owning a boat is not to do it. If you're really a boat owner, it means that the common sense and financial acumen circuits in your brain have failed, and such considerations are irrelevant. When that happens, a new circuit gets set up, the I need a boat circuit, and the only thing to do is obey it.

I often say, I don't have a boating hobby, I have a boating habit. It's a bit like a cocaine habit - lost weekends, waking up cold and wet in strange places, hanging around with strange people, etc, but more expensive

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
The late Jackie Stewart, when asked why he went back into F1 team owenership at a late age replied “”if you surround yourself in cotton wool for the rest of your life, then all you get to taste is cotton wool”.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
The two happiest days of boat ownership are:-
The day you buy and the day you sell.

However, what Stemar said may well be true, I had ten fabulous years with Khamsin. She taught me masses about boats and myself, I did things I'd only dreamed about, I met lots of really good fellow sailors, and it gave me a real purpose in life - and yes, she cost a very, very great deal in terms of outlay and sleepless hours;
but it was worth every penny and every nightmare.

GOOD LUCK, and buy her with your eyes wide open and your fingers crossed.

Wansworth

Visit site
The two happiest days of boat ownership are:-
The day you buy and the day you sell.

However, what Stemar said may well be true, I had ten fabulous years with Khamsin. She taught me masses about boats and myself, I did things I'd only dreamed about, I met lots of really good fellow sailors, and it gave me a real purpose in life - and yes, she cost a very, very great deal in terms of outlay and sleepless hours;
but it was worth every penny and every nightmare.

GOOD LUCK, and buy her with your eyes wide open and your fingers crossed.
Thanks,sounds positive?

Concerto

Visit site
Wansworth, if you are not sure then you could still have a 3rd option. Go and walk round your local marina or yacht club and chat to owners and see if any are looking for a crew. That way you get to go sailing at minimal expense and none of the worries or expense of boat ownership. It is worth a try before taking the plunge.

Wansworth

Visit site
Wansworth, if you are not sure then you could still have a 3rd option. Go and walk round your local marina or yacht club and chat to owners and see if any are looking for a crew. That way you get to go sailing at minimal expense and none of the worries or expense of boat ownership. It is worth a try before taking the plunge.
That sounds totally reasonable but part of the boating is the ownership for me,when and how we want

Fimacca

Visit site
Be careful when you buy and sell. prices are all over the place currently.........

Ownership = Love - hate - Love- hate............

doug748

Visit site
It's age related, this doubt thing.

if you are 50 and have apprehensions, don't do it. You have time on your side and can change your mind anytime.

If you are 60 probably don't bother, things may look clearer in the next few years, you have time left.

If you are 70 and fit, Do it. You are running out of space to change your mind later, selling next year at 50% loss is irrelevant.

If you are much over 80, unless exceptionally fit, probably think very carefully. You live well away from the boat, it may become a worry and inconvenience.

I would ignore all sensible advice and buy, but that's me. Whatever, let us know how it goes.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
In all the years I have been reading your posts I thought you owned a boat! o_O