Accident at Kew Bridge

tonyroome

Visit site
There was a brief comment on the traffic news last night about the closure of Kew Bridge due to a barge striking the bridge. Never mentioned again - anyone know what happened? Is all now well?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Probably only a temporary thing. Bridge gets hit, patrol boat goes to make sure it isn't missing an arch, bridge re-opens.

tonyroome

Visit site
Yeah - I had assumed the same. Now I hear it was a 95 ton Dutch barge! Think they may mean 95 feet..... but its apparently OK and no structural damage to the bridge according to TfL.

How do you not notice Kew Bridge?

TrueBlue

Visit site
I'm sure he noticed it, but such vessels are large, long, heavy and ponderous as well as being underpowered.

I guess he misjudged the flow - can get quite nasty underneath the arches.

The non tidal bit was mostly on Red Strong Stream yesterday (well my patch was) so that means a helluva lot of water coming down to the Tideway and if the tide was flowing the current must have been 6 knots or more?

Just thought I'd make a point as most folks don't venture out in the winter, and I've noticed a lot of comments about water levels and streams on this wonderful new forum recently...

tonyroome

Visit site
Does indeed get tricky - I'm based in London so am pretty much used to it - but its still occasionally surprising - particularly when something appears unexpectedly . Nice out at the weekend, the current wasn't that bad in fact. I think the width of the river on the tidal section is so much greater that you don't notice it as much. Be nice to get out this weekend as well - but that'll depend on whether I can get enough of the tube worms off the boat and outdrive to actually move anywhere!

Other threads that may be of interest