Access to Marinas during Covid 19 restrictions

steveeasy

Visit site
Hmm, well that is the end of our democratic process then, much as was predicted in the Times today.

I was interested to hear from Rick Stein today, who has faced criticism for furlonging his staff. He said, I have no customers, none, no income and I think it was 600 staff. I cant pay them - simple - it is not that I dont want to - I cant.

The Government money will not be in any business Bank accounts before the beginning of July is my guess.

I can see the same scenario with marinas, golf courses, holiday parks, all these places that rely on a stream of income. It will be interesting what their customers do. I was talking (on the 'phone) to a golfer today - he said the course is closed - riduculous. They expect us to go on paying. If I could, I wouldnt. What do they expect, they are not providing me with a service, any more than Rick. Does Rick show me a lovely plate of fish on You Tube and say now send me some money because I need your support to keep going. I dont think so.

I suspect a lot of people will simpy not be able to pay their marina fees, and of those that can, will not. Those that cant be bothered to come forward and make some sensible to proposals to their customers dont deserve to be paid.

Sensible workabe measures are required urgently to allow some activities to continue in a way this preserve social distancing as soon as possible. The two (social distancing and such activities) are NOT mutually excluded (as some seem to believe) and are not sustainable for any length of time, so the soomer we face reality the more likely we will not be faced with even more businesses going bust.

As to Hancock, I have come to the conclusion that those in the Government who are claiming he has become the archetype Grand Stand artist - have got it about right. I am afraid he comes across as very light weight, unable to stay on a consistent message, and unable to preserve the diginity of being honest with the public. It is a terrible performance, and the sooner Borris is back on his feet, at least the sooner we might have a chance of a message that can be promulgated with the semberlance of creditability.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hmm, well that is the end of our democratic process then, much as was predicted in the Times today.

I can see the same scenario with marinas, golf courses, holiday parks, all these places that rely on a stream of income. It will be interesting what their customers do. I was talking (on the 'phone) to a golfer today - he said the course is closed - riduculous. They expect us to go on paying. If I could, I wouldnt. What do they expect, they are not providing me with a service, any more than Rick. Does Rick show me a lovely plate of fish on You Tube and say now send me some money because I need your support to keep going. I dont think so.

I suspect a lot of people will simpy not be able to pay their marina fees, and of those that can, will not. Those that cant be bothered to come forward and make some sensible to proposals to their customers dont deserve to be paid.

Two points.
I run a large equestrian business. closed 3 weeks ago under leisure and tourism. Told id get £25,000. read the small print and never thought id get it. splash in the account mid week. Now it will only keep our heads above water for 6 months, but you cant knock it. golf courses, and any other business that was closed 3 weeks ago that fall under leisure, tourism and retail we receive similar or the same. Marinas I am sure fall within leisure. the same type of customer/recreation activity.

Marina fees.
Ill not say much But in a legal sense they were told to close. So I assume as I have no access, the fee may well be reduced, but it might not. I sort of dont have to much sympathy for them. the majority of thier income is still coming in and they get a payment to support them. my business is closed until such time as group activities can restart. wont be before Autumn and potentially until next year .

Momac

Visit site
If my marina charges me full rate for April I leave easy.

It would be quite difficult for most people to move their boat at the moment.
Do keep us informed how you get on.
Sounds like you are waiting until the end of April to do anything ?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
It would be quite difficult for most people to move their boat at the moment.
Do keep us informed how you get on.
Sounds like you are waiting until the end of April to do anything ?
I am waiting to see when my marina opens to then see were we are , too long those with a boat have been exploited through electronics berthing charges , equipment, spares and repairs , my thoughts , only ,as a consumer I have a choice .. its my money I will pay for an excellent service and customer loyalty, I do this with all my utility bills , insurance etc, if I Do not get customer satisfaction, the best service, and value for money when other competitors are offering better deals and better customer retention I change,
I was a general manager of some very prestigious venues, hotels in my time , my customers, and I expect everyone on this forum would expect the best from me and my organisation,
If this crisis hit my business I would expect my customers would be looking for some recompense , if they could not make the booking or had to cancel, if not my brand and the company I Worked for's reputation would be smeared across social media
I know service and the service industry I expect the best

steveeasy

Visit site
I am waiting to see when my marina opens to then see were we are , too long those with a boat have been exploited through electronics berthing charges , equipment, spares and repairs , my thoughts , only ,as a consumer I have a choice .. its my money I will pay for an excellent service and customer loyalty, I do this with all my utility bills , insurance etc, if I Do not get customer satisfaction, the best service, and value for money when other competitors are offering better deals and better customer retention I change,
I was a general manager of some very prestigious venues, hotels in my time , my customers, and I expect everyone on this forum would expect the best from me and my organisation,
If this crisis hit my business I would expect my customers would be looking for some recompense , if they could not make the booking or had to cancel, if not my brand and the company I Worked for's reputation would be smeared across social media
I know service and the service industry I expect the best

If only!!. My business was voted best venue 2019 by its members . still get treated like crap at the yard. the worst berth and told ill never get a better one. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
Happy Days.
Steveeasy

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I can understand the gates and office may be closed . However are they not working from home / answering the phone/ emails ?
no idea , but the service I Received from them before this virus is now diminished therefore why should I pay the premium, if you came to my hotel room and book 1000 pound luxury suite and after 2 days I asked to down grade you or tell you the butler is no longer available or an earthquake has damaged the hotel you will need to leave but we as a company do not do goodwill gestures or give a certain refund , or look after the loyalty of one of our prestigious guests would you be angry at me and would you come back,, A marina is a service industry

Momac

Visit site
no idea , but the service I Received from them before this virus is now diminished therefore why should I pay ...............
Is the marina aware of your complaint ? It sounds like you may not have communicated with them ? Perhaps better to do so now rather than enter into a dispute in a months time.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
On what basis do you think you are entitled to a reduced rate for April ?
If a business is having a substantial part of its wages paid by the taxpayer, it would seem reasonable to expect some of that to be passed on to customers. I don't know whether that's the case at the PP's marina, of course.

steveeasy

Visit site
leave they do not deserve your money,
Im not one to walk away from a fight. Currently sueing one of the national governing bodys for sport in relation to multiple breaches of contract. plenty of discrimination involved. But my sailing, I love it, never met an unfriendly boatowner, well one, but he had a real problem maintaining his balance. lovelly boatyard, really safe. expensive. been there 3 years. to say there not customer focused is being kind. But that's the way of the world. Your normally find the harder a business needs to work for your money, the better they are.
Back to my business. we operate in a region with 30 competitors , all multi million pound venues with copious amounts of money. Our venue, is peripheral with low footfall. nice but no posh coffee machine. Hated by the national governing body, and voted best venue by its members this year. ironic that.

Steveeasy

Caladh

Visit site
Im not one to walk away from a fight. Currently sueing one of the national governing bodys for sport in relation to multiple breaches of contract. plenty of discrimination involved. But my sailing, I love it, never met an unfriendly boatowner, well one, but he had a real problem maintaining his balance. lovelly boatyard, really safe. expensive. been there 3 years. to say there not customer focused is being kind. But that's the way of the world. Your normally find the harder a business needs to work for your money, the better they are.
Back to my business. we operate in a region with 30 competitors , all multi million pound venues with copious amounts of money. Our venue, is peripheral with low footfall. nice but no posh coffee machine. Hated by the national governing body, and voted best venue by its members this year. ironic that.

Steveeasy
Are we meant to guess? Who are they?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If a business is having a substantial part of its wages paid by the taxpayer, it would seem reasonable to expect some of that to be passed on to customers. I don't know whether that's the case at the PP's marina, of course.

My marina is effectively closed. The lock tower/office is manned 24/7 by one person at a time. That person keeps the marina levels correct (behind a lock), monitors the CCTV, patrols the marina etc. My boat is on its berth. The workshop, pub, etc are all closed, but if they were open, i'd have to pay extra to use them. One ablution block is open and being cleaned. So, the marina has provided me with a berth, security and the ablution facilities, everything i normally get included in my fees. I can't sail the boat, because i'm not allowed to visit the marina, is that the fault of the marina ?

The office staff are working from home, workload will no doubt be much less than normal, i expect they'll still want paying. Lock keepers still working normal hours, obviously their workload is greatly diminished, i dare say they'll want paying too. The groundsman is working as normal, he's obviously expecting to get paid. The yard and workshop staff are not working, but the govt have said they'll pay them 80% of their normal wages. That's not expected to hit the marina bank account until July, so i'm assuming the marina is footing that bill in the meantime, but let's say that it equals out in the end.

So, those working get paid, those not working get 80% from HMRC. Nothing gained by the marina. As everywhere else is closed, no other revenue for the marina. This year, the marina will be short of all the money they would normally earn for lift outs, workshops, the pub/restaurant, laundry, gas, diesel etc, etc.

Where will the money come from to give me a discount ?

I'd love some money back as much as the next person, but i just don't see why i'm entitled to any. If the lock was broken and i couldn't get out, it would be a different matter. If i'd have called in for some work and couldn't get back to my swinging mooring, i wouldn't expect to pay visitors fees to be here.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Because ... ?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Because I think it begs the question that if you aren’t prepared to say it under your own name should it be said?

It is a problem that plagues social media. It doesn’t (hardly) matter if the issue relates to anti-fouling or anchors or anodes but there are issues, the current and very grave crisis being one, where individual views would be be more comfortably received and perhaps less readily/recklessly expressed if they weren’t posted anonymously.

I just think the disconnect is adding to the confusion and unease.

Ian Robinson

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Cruisers Marinas here in the Med come the end of April are almost half empty as the cruiser pile out to live mostly on their hook, so they have to make there money over the winter months nearly most of them have given some kind of discount , they know how quickly the word goes around amount cruisers an example one marina we used some years back had 9 liveaboard boat in the following year 150 it soon got around how good there service and prices are .
My contract run out on the 15th March , it the time we plain to start cruising, it was also the two days after our lockdown started , without much said by myself they not only extend my contract keeping me on a 30% discount at the same winter rate but for as long as this goes on.
They could had not given anything , we can't go anywhere we would had no option but to pay , but there know very well come next year cruisers won't be back .
Plus they on a win win situation, they be getting an income where normally the marina would only be half full it that .
I think the difference between marinas back home in the UK and once out here is two fold , for a start here they realise this could be a long draw out lock down where back home are still looking at it as if it's all going to be over next week.
The other they have a caption customers where out here people move around much more .
Good luck to you all , hope you get some kind of deal .

steveeasy

Visit site
My marina is effectively closed. The lock tower/office is manned 24/7 by one person at a time. That person keeps the marina levels correct (behind a lock), monitors the CCTV, patrols the marina etc. My boat is on its berth. The workshop, pub, etc are all closed, but if they were open, i'd have to pay extra to use them. One ablution block is open and being cleaned. So, the marina has provided me with a berth, security and the ablution facilities, everything i normally get included in my fees. I can't sail the boat, because i'm not allowed to visit the marina, is that the fault of the marina ?

The office staff are working from home, workload will no doubt be much less than normal, i expect they'll still want paying. Lock keepers still working normal hours, obviously their workload is greatly diminished, i dare say they'll want paying too. The groundsman is working as normal, he's obviously expecting to get paid. The yard and workshop staff are not working, but the govt have said they'll pay them 80% of their normal wages. That's not expected to hit the marina bank account until July, so i'm assuming the marina is footing that bill in the meantime, but let's say that it equals out in the end.

So, those working get paid, those not working get 80% from HMRC. Nothing gained by the marina. As everywhere else is closed, no other revenue for the marina. This year, the marina will be short of all the money they would normally earn for lift outs, workshops, the pub/restaurant, laundry, gas, diesel etc, etc.

I'd love some money back as much as the next person, but i just don't see why i'm entitled to any. If the lock was broken and i couldn't get out, it would be a different matter. If i'd have called in for some work and couldn't get back to my swinging mooring, i wouldn't expect to pay visitors fees to be here.

Hi,
very valid points indeed. everything is not black or white. The fact is, everyone from every perspective is going to take a hit in one way or another. Think we should all wait and see how things pan out in the next few weeks.
Steveeasy

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
So, the marina has provided me with a berth, security and the ablution facilities, everything i normally get included in my fees. I can't sail the boat, because i'm not allowed to visit the marina, is that the fault of the marina ?

In another thread about a small business offering yurt camping, apparently yes, it is their fault!

ip485

Visit site

You are back, I thought you had gone?

Being serious, a marina is not a boat park, the hard is.

People pay a fee to park on the hard and a fee to park in the marina. The reason there is a considerable difference in the fee is the expectation of the owner when the boat is in the marina, is very different. Whatever the contract may say the fee is therefore for the provision of two seperate services; one of these services is not being provided.

Many responsible businesses have taken insurance for not being able to provide their service or part of it. Wimbledon for example is putting together a multi million pound claim not only to cover the losses of those who would buy a ticket, but their debenture holders who have paid in the expectation of receiving certain services each year and will be compensated for the loss of these services. Of course they could say there will be no compensation, because this is beyong our control - force majeure, and this will be the legal decision that will have to be considered. It would not be appropriate if I were to go into to many details here for obvious reasons.

How many marinas have insurance? I have insurance and I have successfully claimed. I made it a condition when I insured that it was all risks, wothout some of the silly exclusions I fully appreciate some have been fobbed off with.

It is necessarily for now. Personally I have considerable symphathy for the position many marinas and berth holder now find themselves in. I have huge symphathy for the position the Government finds itsefl in, and I accept it is a delicate balance they must chart.