Accelerated Low Water Corrosion

AndrewB

Visit site
Anyone know anything about the new superbug that eats steel piles (Really! <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.corrocean.com/cathodicprot/1002/>See here</A>).

Apparently it is spreading fast around UK marinas - MDL better watch out.

Hope it doesn't like steel yachts!

yoda

Visit site
Yes

SRB (Sulphur Reducing Bacteria) is a real problem under anaerobic conditions. It's effect is to very quickly create pits in bare metal. The fact that it is anerobic causes it to form in water compensated fuel tanks of Her Majesties Finest. It also has a habit of ocouring around the low watre mark of muddy jetties. Good paint coatings prevent it attacking but any slight paint defect will let it in. It's speed of attack is quite outstanding.

Yoda

jamesjermain

Visit site
Yoda will probably give you a better answer, but basically it won't attack teh outside of metal hulls because they generally operate in well aerated water. However, in the bilges, stagnant water can lead to the development of these beasties which could attack the hull from the inside out.

As far as I am aware this is not a new problem.

JJ

AndrewB

Visit site
Because it is biological, the problem is spreading. What does seem to be new (as far as I know) are occurences in UK marinas. I've heard of two cases recently, but never before.

A recommended 'cure' is impressed cathodic protection. I wonder what the implications of that might be around yachts, with all the existing electrolytic problems.