About to finalise battery choice - any comments?

Shibumi

Visit site
I need to make a final decision on replacing the house battery bank.

The current set up is 12 x 2V cells set up in a 24 volt (wet cell) configuration (800a/h).

The decision to change to AGM is already made simply because of increased charge acceptance rate at anchor - the main alternator is 180amp so it makes sense to use the capacity.

I am considering the following makes (after much research);

Rolls/Surrette, Lifeline, and Trojan.

Rolls are the current front runner, but before I commit, does anyone have an alternative to suggest?

Many thanks,

Steve

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I replaced my 75 Ah house battery with an Elecsol Carbon Fiber 110 Ah one. They claim it is suitable for engine starting as well. I can't remember the CCA offhand but it is plenty.
What I liked was the increase in Ah capacity for negligible increase in weight; it fits in the same battery box, just a bit taller.
I intend to replace the engine battery with an identical unit.

pvb

Visit site
Rolls are the current front runner, but before I commit, does anyone have an alternative to suggest?

I don't think you're going to get many sensible replies here, Steve. The forum is predominantly used by UK-based posters, and we don't generally get much experience of Rolls/Lifeline/Trojan - especially 2V cells.

Last edited:

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I went AGM for the same reason as you; charge acceptance. I've a 120A alternator and after a couple of days at anchor i've typically seen 90A being charged and battery recovery has been pleasingly quick. I fitted a 70A charger for the same reason so that if only on shorepower for short periods of time I can recharge quickly. One issue to be wary of is that a 70A charger is drawing 5A at 240v at max output and that can strain some showepower supplies. The Victron has the facility to restrict 240V draw which is handy when you want to heavily charge and have other 240v demands.

I went lifeline mainly because the battery shape allowed me to get max AH capacity in to the battery box! After four years I've been very pleased with the performance but that is what i expected from this premium kit. Cheap it ain't! AGM's can of course be laid in any orientation which might help with battery storage but I don't expect that's a differentiator between brands.

As with all AGM a decent alternator regulator is critical but I'm sure you have that sorted with your 180A alternator.

I expect the best way to choose between the brands you mention is £'s per AH capacity.

rob

mandlmaunder

Visit site
Hi Steve and welcome.

We changed over to Trojan 6v in 12v parallel series and we get good recharge every day from wind or solar, when we motor we have 2 80amp alternators that quickly recharge the 675 ah house bank.

Once a month I check fluid levels, not much to ask for the amount of work they do!

Mark

PS - Trojan now make a huge range of batteries in 2-6-8 and 12 volt here is a product link,
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0111_ProdSpecGuide_1210LR.pdf

:)

ccscott49

Visit site
I have agm 110ah batteries now, 8 in a 24v (domestic) system 440ah total. Engine start and genny start seperate batteries. (due to add two more 110ah) Next time I would go for rolls wet with recombiner caps. Heard nothing but good about them.

Shibumi

Visit site
Hi folks, thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

We have decided to go for the Rolls S12-230AGM (210 a/h each) X 4.

We will set them up In a slightly different arrangement to normal however simplY because of the amount I have read from pretty much all of the AGM manufacturers about the need to charge back up to 100% rather than just cycling between 50% DOD and then back to 80% with bulk charge.

Many cruising boats do that of course simply because of the length of time it takes once you drop down to acceptance charge rate at around 80%. If I split the banks into 2 X 420 a/h rather than one big 840 a/h it means that I can fully charge (to 100%) each off-duty (i.e. no load) bank in turn.

I'll try it and see how we get on - worse case I simply throw a switch and re-combine the banks.

Lifeline bluetops are fitted for engine start and they just look after themselves.

Thanks guys,

Steve