Aaargh Motorboat owner

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Just downloaded the January edition. Now let me say immediately that I greatly admire it as a publication and look forward to its appearance every month; this month is no exception.

But.....

There's a very interesting article about someone in the Channel Islands, who has converted an elderly Coronet 27 into something that looks - and probably behaves - rather like a Botnia Targa. A fascinating project and an interesting idea which has produced rather a nice little boat. However, apparently the owner "removed the topsides" as part of the project, which doesn't leave much to work on, if true :). In reality, I imagine that he has merely removed the superstructure and rebuilt it, for the Scandinavian look. I know I'm being a pedant but, ferchrissakes guys .......

Otherwise, still a great little magazine.

Elessar

Visit site
Just downloaded the January edition. Now let me say immediately that I greatly admire it as a publication and look forward to its appearance every month; this month is no exception.

But.....

There's a very interesting article about someone in the Channel Islands, who has converted an elderly Coronet 27 into something that looks - and probably behaves - rather like a Botnia Targa. A fascinating project and an interesting idea which has produced rather a nice little boat. However, apparently the owner "removed the topsides" as part of the project, which doesn't leave much to work on, if true :). In reality, I imagine that he has merely removed the superstructure and rebuilt it, for the Scandinavian look. I know I'm being a pedant but, ferchrissakes guys .......

Otherwise, still a great little magazine.

We offered topside polishing as an option after antifoul removal. Had to put in block capitals that didn't mean we would be polishing the decks. So many people don't know what topsides are.

[2068]

Visit site
Removing the topsides is normally the result of a major docking error, followed shortly by a sinking.
Does this match up with the article?

maybh1

Visit site
Slight thread drift but I see Neale is offering Cruises in Company this year

I lost count of how many we did in the early days with MBM- it's a fantastic way to build your confidence and I wish him every success

May
Xx

Mr Googler

Visit site
I think the term topsides is often taken to mean anything above the deck I.e. Superstructure (which was removed). I believe the term is used that way in shipping. Also cg66 form asks for lower hull colour (anti foul?), upper hull colour (waterline to deck?)and topsides colour (anything above deck?) as 3 separate questions, so who's right??? In any event, not the end of the world stuff and it's a fantastic magazine deserving of support.

Greg2

Visit site
Yes, it is one of those words that appears to have a bit of a loose meaning in the marine world. Many references refer to it being from the waterline to the top of the hull but it appears to be commonly used to refer to things above the hull i.e. the superstructure or cabin. IIRC the former is the correct one from my Navy days but the latter is commonly applied nowadays.

To be fair to jhr he starts by saying what a great mag Mororboat Owner is but the title of the thread does give a slightly different impression......I did wonder what I was going to read when I clicked on it. Anyway, a great mag and I hope that Neale and Claire remain successful in their endeavour :)

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
To be fair to jhr he starts by saying what a great mag Mororboat Owner is but the title of the thread does give a slightly different impression......I did wonder what I was going to read when I clicked on it. Anyway, a great mag and I hope that Neale and Claire remain successful in their endeavour :)

Ooops; tried to edit the title but I'm afraid we're stuck with it :)

Just to re-iterate: Motorboat Owner is a great publication and I wouldn't want anyone to think I was trying to rubbish it any way, or to criticise the way that Neale and Claire have introduced an excellent new title into a difficult market.

But I stand by my assertion - the topsides are the exterior part of a boat's hull above the waterline and below deck level, and any other definition of them is a bastardisation caused by slapdash misuse of the English language, rant, mutter, mumble, writes to "The Times" etc...... :p :D

ExcaliburII

Visit site
- the topsides are the exterior part of a boat's hull above the waterline and below deck level

+1 This jumped out at me as soon as I looked at the article, too.

But I also agree Neale & Claire are doing an excellent job with MBO and wish them every success with it. Well done, guys.:encouragement:

prv

Visit site
Yes, it is one of those words that appears to have a bit of a loose meaning in the marine world.

Not really, just a few ignorant numpties misusing it :p

(The CG66 form may have a Coastguard logo at the top of it, but that doesn't mean it was put together by someone with any maritime knowledge.)

Pete