A Wivenhoe pub, and a Chinese please.

FullCircle

Visit site
Full Circle is preparing to go up to Wivenhoe this weekend, and we would like a decent old pub with proper brown beer, and either a decent takeaway or a Chinese restaurant.

Wouldn't mind knowing what is the best place to tie granny knots on cleats either, where we can stay a tide or two.

johnalison

Visit site
You're probably too deep to lie on the WSC pontoon, though fins as much as 6' have done so. Adnams + Broadside in the club Sunday lunchtime is my favourite (being a member). No other moorings unless you negotiate. Floating pontoon at Rowhedge, wherever that is.

Rose & Crown on the front is mainly visitors, decent choice of beer. Haven't tried the Black Buoy lately but usually satisfactory. Greyhound mainly active evenings with "music" & other events, but rough & ready.

Italian gets booked. Indian seems ok. No chinks (am I allowed to say that?).

Cantata

Visit site
If you go up to Rowhedge the floating pontoon for visitors on your port side is a few yards past the Anchor, which is a Shepherd Neame pub, nice drop o' Kentish beer...
Lucky devils. We're only launching on Friday, boat is still in bits.

johnalison

Visit site
You'll be fine then. the pontoons were built partly with outside money on the understanding that they would be available for visitors. There tend to be fishermen on the outside at the moment while their dock is being dredged, but any finger is OK. The entry code is inside the gate and there are bound to be people around.

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I often cycle down to Wivenhoe/Rowhedge. If I see you there I shall hail you across the water and expect to be given a cup of tea!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tea in plentiful supply before the sun goes down over the yardarm. Might struggle a bit after then, but I am sure we can find something suitable.