A Trip To Wales Or Two!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Went to Wales on Friday to reconnoitre a place mentioned here abouts. Nice little place and they did have some room. Thought the best place to get the low down would be the pub. Or fawlty Towers Hotel in this case. The bars shut, The man said. Open it Gwinithed he said. Gwinithed was a short thin bloke, bald and with horn rimmed spectacles which looked quite fetching with his grey coloured skin and beard, had it not been for the dirty green fleece he was wearing. Anyway I’ve always been told to seek local knowledge when going anywhere new in a boat. So I did. Anyone know the waters around here. I asked the three wise men sitting at the bar. When are the lock gates open. Oh, they will open the lock anytime you want they all agreed. You can come and go anytime and you can come and go up and down the Chow Mien Straights all the time. Sept. for a bit in the middle where the tides meet and there’s a two foot wall of water. Well that’s no problem I thinks. Soon jump over that. So now armed with this useful local knowledge, I took a stroll about, down to the lock. Peering over the seawards side. There’s a six foot bloody drop onto rocks and mud!! At this point I decided that a trip to the office would be advisable. All very friendly and you can smoke in there as well. Lock gates open three hours each side HW. Well that made a lot more sense I thought.

The trip down the M55/A55 had been quite uneventful at a steady ninety. Till reaching Wales. I think they must have got an EEC grant for road signs. Millions of them and all in two languages. Road works, ecky thump it would say. (Having converted the unintelligible Welsh into proper Lancastrian.) And speed limits 70,40,50,70,40,60 and so on, with speed cameras. Made me go quite dizzy trying to keep up with them all.

So on Saturday decided to do it all again with Tutts this time. However the nephews turned up just as we were setting off, so did not get away till half past two. Still had a nosy round again with Tutts suitably impressed. Even got to Holly Head and inspected the new marina. I’ve never been as under whelmed in my life. It’s orible.

So a Friday and Saturday afternoon jaunt of about three hundred miles each.
And I’ve not seen the boat for four months cos it three hundred miles away in Plymouth!!

Never mind. Going down there next Saturday for the week. Better take the power washer………./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue> Haydn

whisper

Visit site
I hope the weather improves for you by then. I'm off down to Kingsbridge on Tuesday, prior to launching whatever its name is, on Thursday am. Forecast is for snow and wintery showers from Thursday til following Tuesday. If you see two forlorn & shivering idiots entering The Sound from the East and heading for QAB pass us a hot drink over...........Pleeease.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hmm. Looks like I'd better get Mucky Farters snow plow fitted then. Can remember when we bought her in Dartmouth and came round to Plymouth in the snow. Two inch of slush on the deck made mooring interesting!!

<font color=blue> Haydn

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>You can earn extra money if you keep your boat in Dai Bach country. You can grow Daffodils and Leeks on your flybridge and keep sheepy things in the cockpit. Don't forget a sturdy paid of Wellies for when you are lonely... when in Rome

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

wakeup

Visit site
Don't Knock it till you've tried it see.

Brendan you're obviously an amatuer SS. Well all now use high tech stringless tennis racquest these days. Put sheeps head through the tennis racquet to stop it a) running away
b) turning round to bite you
c) makes a comfortable handle to hold onto.

BrendanS

Visit site
I still like the old fashioned low tech techniques. Push them towards the edge of a cliff, till they start pushing back /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Wellies no good Byron, unless you're a contortionist.[/]
<font color=blue>
There speaks Brendan... the voice of experience

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Wrong side of the mountains!!

I've just got back from Barcelona, only to find you have launched an invasion of my territory - I hope you remembered your passport :)

You need to get over to Porthmadog, them Swellies are too dangerous. More dangerous than sheep!

Actually, the Anglesey coast is great to cruise and staggeringly beautiful, and the charts are the busiest you've ever seen - whirl pools, overfalls, firing ranges, barely submersed rocks, wrecks etc. You name it, they got it.

Madoc Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk>http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Wrong side of the mountains!!

Decisions, Decisions. On the one hand. The Welsh sheep are very attractive. On the other, I have forgotten most of what I new about chart work and tides. About as near as I get to them down Dev-wall is. Oh look. A big Rock. Better go round it!! Loads of nice pretty harbours you can go into any old time. Nice pontoon for either the boat or the dinghy. Water taxi's. Loads of nice little hops for fifyt miles one way and foutry miles the other.
On The other hand, theres Wales. Nice little mooring spot. Fawty towers hotel!! Cant get out when want to. But could stop at Holly Head when coming back. Now thats just the time you need the sheep. The thought of stopping in Holly Head. You need some thing to take your mind off it. I did used to have 30 odd sheep. BUT They were TO MUCH FOR ME!! >>>>>/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue> Haydn

BrendanS

Visit site
Well the girls all had old fashioned views, so sheep were the only option. Until you had fathered several lambs to prove your virility, the girls wouldn't sleep with you!

At least that's what my mates told me!