A raft of new launches

flaming

Visit site
Mostly geared at shorthanded racing, but there have been a few launches lately in the 30-35 foot sector.

The J99, JPK1030 and Sunfast 3300.

Could this mark a bit of a resurgence in racing in this size bracket?

Ingwe

Visit site
Could this mark a bit of a resurgence in racing in this size bracket?

Yes but not necessarily crewed racing eg at Spi Ouest all of these boats were entered into the two handed class and not the fully crewed one. The j99 and the 3300 can both be specified with water ballast (I think it is standard on the 3300) so even though they have probably better all round hull forms for crewed racing than the previous generation they aren't expecting them to be raced much with full crews.

I would also like to know whether the IRC number that the 3300 is sailing under includes the water ballast or not as it looks like a fairly sensible number to me and I would have expected the water ballast to have been penalised more heavily?

flaming

Visit site
Yes but not necessarily crewed racing eg at Spi Ouest all of these boats were entered into the two handed class and not the fully crewed one. The j99 and the 3300 can both be specified with water ballast (I think it is standard on the 3300) so even though they have probably better all round hull forms for crewed racing than the previous generation they aren't expecting them to be raced much with full crews.

I would also like to know whether the IRC number that the 3300 is sailing under includes the water ballast or not as it looks like a fairly sensible number to me and I would have expected the water ballast to have been penalised more heavily?

Well there were 99s in the fully crewed class as well... I suspect we will see the 1030 at a range of fully crewed events as well. That doublehanded class at Spi Ouest is something else though, 50 boats!

Pip Hare tested the 3300 yesterday, and is testing the 1030 today, will be very interesting to hear what she has to say...

My suspicion is that despite J's attempts to reclaim the short handed mantle that they held with the 105, the 99 will be the best of these boats for crewed racing, especially with a conventional kite, and the 3300 and 1030 will be the better shorthanded boats. The performance of the 3300 in the light is especially eye catching....

Honeymonster

Visit site
The IRC rating of the Sun Fast 3300 at Spi Ouest includes water ballast and carbon rig. Water ballast is optional and won't be needed for fully crewed racing. The JPK rating for "Leon" also includes water ballast & carbon rig. The JPK is longer, narrower and heavier than the 3300.

flaming

Visit site
The IRC rating of the Sun Fast 3300 at Spi Ouest includes water ballast and carbon rig. Water ballast is optional and won't be needed for fully crewed racing. The JPK rating for "Leon" also includes water ballast & carbon rig. The JPK is longer, narrower and heavier than the 3300.

Interesting re the water ballast being included in the rating. Makes those ratings look very favourable I think.

I did see an interview with JPK where he stated that he thought the Sunfast was more of a downwind machine - designed to win the Transquarda, whereas his 1030 was a little bit more of an all rounder more focused on the Fastnet etc.
I'm going to be very interested if a 1030 of 3300 turns up at Cowes this year. You can be sure there will be at least one J99 there....