A Poll - Liveaboards Post Brexit Return or Remain?

Brexit means return to the UK or renounce your UK rights. What would you do?

• Return to the UK?

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Take foreign nationality. residency and forfeit your UK privileges?

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters

nortada

Visit site
If Brexit means that you and your boat can either return to the UK or take foreign nationality and so renounce all your rights and privileges as a British Citizen, what would you do?

macd

Visit site
If Brexit means that you and your boat can either return to the UK or take foreign nationality and so renounce all your rights and privileges as a British Citizen, what would you do?

I'm not at all sure the question reflects the likelihood, not least because dual nationality is an option. Equally, becoming a long-term resident in an EU27 country does not usually require becoming a national of that country (even for current "third country" nationals). Many rights would be retained (including the right to vote for, IIRC, 15 years). Amongst the rights I most value as a British citizen is the right to free movement in the EU, which looks like becoming a goner, anyway.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I not sure that a RP with give you free moment in any other EU country . example, we know one US and one NZ citizen who has a RP in Malta but they don't have free moment in any other EU country and when cruising away from Malta they still have to leave when there time up or get back to Malta
Also I don't think it going to be a problem for many , out of the 35 or so Brit we know well , most are only out for the summer , other go home in the hottest months and winter , so it only leave a few of us full time cruiser with the problem .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm not at all sure the question reflects the likelihood, not least because dual nationality is an option. Equally, becoming a long-term resident in an EU27 country does not usually require becoming a national of that country (even for current "third country" nationals). Many rights would be retained (including the right to vote for, IIRC, 15 years). Amongst the rights I most value as a British citizen is the right to free movement in the EU, which looks like becoming a goner, anyway.

Mac if you don't I'd me asking , how long did it take you to get your!

macd

Visit site
Mac if you don't I'd me asking , how long did it take you to get your!

The residence? About an hour, although there's potentially a degree of vetting of the evidence you present after that. We were told the formal residence papers would be available one day later, although we were in no hurry to collect them. Process all very relaxed with the lady at the local council. Maybe a little different in the middle of Rome.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The residence? About an hour, although there's potentially a degree of vetting of the evidence you present after that. We were told the formal residence papers would be available one day later, although we were in no hurry to collect them. Process all very relaxed with the lady at the local council. Maybe a little different in the middle of Rome.

Sorry Mac I should had said from applying to finish , do you think it would had be as easy if you didn't have an house ?
also do you believe it will give you freedom of moment through the EU if the shit hits the fan ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sail to the Caribbean

The thing is ,it's doesn't interest me , if I was going to cross it would had been 28 years ago when I first arrive in the Med , plus other thing to consider , elder mothers on both side , grandchildren I like to visit a couple of time a year for a week partner family in holland and danmark , it's so easy to get back in a flash from Europe .
that's without cost involved .

macd

Visit site
1. from applying to finish ,
2. do you think it would had be as easy if you didn't have an house ?
3. also do you believe it will give you freedom of moment through the EU if the shit hits the fan ?

1. That's it, job done, although the authorities have 45 days to decline/question the application.
Obviously you have to raise the required paperwork beforehand:
a. evidence of sufficient income to live on;
b. evidence of address (house deeds in our case);
c. evidence of healthcare provision (S1 in our case: many non-pensioners won't be eligible);
d. UK passport;
e. Codice fiscale registration. (Literally, tax code but, as in many European countries, more like the UK's National Insurance number.

2. Sorry, but I've really no idea. I suspect it would be more difficult, if possible at all.

3. Divorce agreement last December was that UK citizens formally resident in EU27 at time of Brexit would retain their right of residence but only in the specific country of residence: three months in six elsewhere. There's a possibility that could become more liberal...or not happen at all if there's a "no deal" brexit. On the other hand, as discussed in Nortada's other thread, plenty of "third country" nationals become resident in EU27 countries, so there's no compelling reason that couldn't apply after a no-deal brexit. But with all the uncertainty, it was our view that getting a foot in the door pre-brexit was the most prudent course. It's in neither party's interest to kick out several million residents.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
1. That's it, job done, although the authorities have 45 days to decline/question the application.
Obviously you have to raise the required paperwork beforehand:
a. evidence of sufficient income to live on;
b. evidence of address (house deeds in our case);
c. evidence of healthcare provision (S1 in our case: many non-pensioners won't be eligible);
d. UK passport;
e. Codice fiscale registration. (Literally, tax code but, as in many European countries, more like the UK's National Insurance number.

2. Sorry, but I've really no idea. I suspect it would be more difficult, if possible at all.

3. Divorce agreement last December was that UK citizens formally resident in EU27 at time of Brexit would retain their right of residence but only in the specific country of residence: three months in six elsewhere. There's a possibility that could become more liberal...or not happen at all if there's a "no deal" brexit. On the other hand, as discussed in Nortada's other thread, plenty of "third country" nationals become resident in EU27 countries, so there's no compelling reason that couldn't apply after a no-deal brexit. But with all the uncertainty, it was our view that getting a foot in the door pre-brexit was the most prudent course. It's in neither party's interest to kick out several million residents.
Thank Mac it's what I expected .
So as I been saying RP isn't going to help with free moment all over the EU .
I believe only dual nationality is the only way forward if some how you can get it .
Also as you quite rightly shown there are hoops to jump to get a RP its not just a matter of , my yacht contract is in X marina
And I live full time on board and like a RP , your went smoothly because you met all the criteria. And having property when a long way to met that criteria. Thanks for your reply Mac , sorry if I got a bit personally .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sorry if the question was to me , I can't answer it , talking out of my ass again , I believe being a national of a EU country and having a RP in a EU country is two.very different thing m another example.
Someone from Africa manage to get a RP to live in the UK , it doesn't give them free moment throughout the EU . Correct me if I am wrong someone .

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
3. Divorce agreement last December was that UK citizens formally resident in EU27 at time of Brexit would retain their right of residence but only in the specific country of residence: three months in six elsewhere.

This raises the question of how do you get to your country of residence? If flying, no problem but, if travelling by road to say Spain or Portugal, then presumably passport will be stamped when entering France but no exit stamp until going back to UK as travel will have been within Schengan area so, will appear to have overstayed the 90 days.

nortada

Visit site
Nah, my seagoing qualifications are commercially endorsed and recognised throughout the world. How cool is that? :cool:

Cool Not very, :sleeping:

We all have commercially endorsed seagoing qualifications.

And those that don’t will soon print off their own - in urdu, farsi, arabic or cuneiform:encouragement: