• Round style Magma

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Rectangular Magma

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

seanfoster

Visit site
Slight hijack of thread I'm afraid,
I'm looking for a good bbq for use on board, I've had a look at the cobb website, looks like a good bit of kit, where do you use it on board? what do you put it on, mount it etc?

GAJ

Visit site
We have used the Cobb on three different boats and have always found a place to use it.
On our First 405 we had a boarding ladder/bathing platform, that's where we fired it up, I sometimes cooked with it there but often moved in into the shade under the bimini and put it on the cockpit table.
On our Oceanis 440 it was fired up placed on the sugar scoop and then either placed on cockpit table or even just put on a seat.
On our present Amel Sharki I have used it sat on the aft cabin roof and once again on the cockpit table.

We have the carrying bag which is good for taking the Cobb ashore for a beach bbq. Just put the lighters and charcoal in a bag inside the Cobb and the beer in the coolbox:D

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
In harbour - usually on the quayside, although if there's alot of kids about we don't do that! At anchor, either on the fore deck (if I need peace and quiet) or on the sugar scoop (if I'm feeling sociable). Tried using it in the cockpit but gave up because of grease drops from the lid and tuning the meat. Best used on a sealed surface like GRP rather than teak decking......

Borden

Visit site
Our choice of BBQ

We bought a Magma gas version five years ago but couldn't get on with it and storing it was a pain as mentioned earlier, so we got rid via eBay.
Last year we bought a Dickinson SeaBQ via the Boat Show. Here's a link to a US dealer and there are dealers in the UK.
http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/barbecues_small.htm

We've found it excellent. It's very robust and easy to store and the lid fitting is not an embarassment. We have a permanent bracket fitted on the rail and the SeaBQ clips on to this when needed. If you want to take it ashore it has it's own feet as you can see in the pic.

The SeaBQ is my recommendation.
Colin

ccscott49

Visit site
I have a force10 round gas barbie and find it easy and it gets used a lot in summer. May try to get some lava rock thingies for it, must be some lying around in Corfu.

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
It has to be the Cobb, yesterday my beloved cooked a Cornbeef pie and a Cheese & Onion Flan in it. They were perfect and no heat in the boat.

The Cobb can be a bitch to clean (salt water an Ciff works for me). But with results as above it's worth the effort.

wazza

Visit site
cobb question..

We have a Cobb bbq, and I'm so so with it..
My question to all you that have one is 'Do you have a standard s/s grate or, as I have a type of teflon plate?' I find the plate not really bbqish... opinions please..:)

Mrnotming

Visit site
Magma round gas in Med.

Initially this was messy although no charcoal, just lava lumps!
We bought round enamelled shalow pans. These worked a treat though fat content was higher because of the frying effect using high temperature oil.
Then I discovered a Camping Gaz George Foreman type plate, annular ring with water trough.Brilliant results, though you can lose a sausage from time to time as there is a curve to the centre of the plate. Will spike sausage with pre-soaked wooden skewers next time to prevent loss of grub!No fumes result from this arrangement, so not noticed by other boaters or Marina staff.
Also got perforated pizza metal non-stick plate which means pizzas are an 6/8 ,minute job, and very tasty!
No problems with clamps except securing everything with a line, to avoid losing bits.
Then bought two more bait table clamps, made small table which folds vertical on side pulpit when not in use.Together, it is ideal for outdoor cooking and saves interior of boat from cooking grime. Gas lighter needs a good long flame to ignite in wind.
Our Magnma has no draught regulator to the top lid holes, so a mod is planned to allow a bit of stainless steel plate to be swiveled under the central knob for slower cooking.

No doubt all the other barbeques have their plus points too.
I have squashed ours going through a Seine lock, losing the breakfast bacon into the river! A bit of judious panel beating afterwards was necessary to have the lid fit properly!
Good boating and sailing to all!

kalessin

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Cobb

We have used our Cobb in the cockpit in quite gusty conditions on a mooring with no problems.

This year we have started using the special Cobb blocks and found they make cleaning much easier. Once you finish cooking, if you can lift off the racks and put them somewhere where they won't burn through the deck, then you can pick up the fuel basket and neatly tip away the block - ideally into the sea (if it's still hot) or in our case into a nice brick Danish barbecue in a special barbecue area :)

Filling the gutter with water also helps with cleaning.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
3) There is no way to clamp the lid to the base, so when stowed in the locker you have to truss it up with string which often comes undone.

I humbly suggest that you utilize the contents of this. ;)

51QazGi%2BURL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg