A plan forms

Swanrad2

Visit site
A friend on mine and myself are looking for something exciting to do in our Centaur next summer (maybe, later this summer). The plan that is forming in my mind is as follows:

1) delivery trip, he and I, to the entrance to the Caledonian Canal
2) holiday with wife and kids taking the boat through /\
3) he gets the same coming in the opposite direction

Never done anything this adventurous although we can both sail - plausible? HW long should we allow for the delivery elements and are there any great moorings we could leave the boat on whilst its up there??

Cheers,

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
Do the delivery trip and then potter round the Kintyre to Ardnamurchan CCC pilot book.

The adventurous part will be crossing the Irish Sea and coming up the North Channel, well it would be for me as I an familiar with the rest of it.

To leave the boat, Ardfern, Craobh and Dunstaffnage are all about as easy to get to by road/bus. Loch Melfort & Linnhe Marine do swinging moorings and access is probably not much different, http://www.welcome-anchorages.co.uk/view-publication/

Last edited:

armchairsailor

Visit site
Why bother? With the West Coast nearer than the Cally, you're passing over some of the best bits of the UK for something impressive, yet not quite as good. OK, I can understand the need for safer places to sail with the family, but there are opportunities and options galore before you even get there.

southseaian

Visit site
Sounds like a great idea. You would be sailing in some of the the most beautiful areas of the UK.
Also in areas of strong tides and changeable weather.
It would probably be better to cross to Ireland maybe via the Isle of Man. The harbours are generally easier to enter on that side..
I crossed the Irish Sea from south Wales to southern Ireland when I sailed around the UK using the Caledonian canal.
The east coast of Ireland is very attractive and has a good range of sheltered harbours. Also you are sheltered to some extent from seas from the sw, w and nw winds.
Then cross back leaving the Mull of Kintyre to your east However that would miss the Clyde and Crinan canal and the beautiful sea lochs.
I love the Caledonian Canal and the scenery having lived and worked on the West Coast and spent much time sailing, motoring and paddling through it.
Go for it.

NickRobinson

Visit site

Swanrad2

Visit site
Do the wife and kids not like sailing?

Yes and no - short hop trips near shore, great. Longer offshore, not so great. So I look to compromise - the long offshore bits with mates and the rest with the family. Best of both worlds is my thinking......I used to walk up hills with wife and kids in the summer with the family and mountains in the winter with friends. Everyone was happy.