A new wood floor.

burgundyben

Visit site
This boat was built in 1963, its had at least 2 transoms, probably 3, and 4 different engine installs, 2 of them twin outdrive, now shaft, its fair to say she's been pulled about.

See the frame shown, I rather fancy bolting and gluing a wood floor in there, a kind of boomerang shape, tapering outwards. I'm happy with my plan from a structure perspective.

I've got a lump of timber, reddish, was a stair tread from an old school, hard as nails, if I cut the boomerang so the grain in the new part is horizontal across the boat, is that ok?

20231007-140657.jpg

burgundyben

Visit site
For sure, I expect some load going into it, otherwise there'd be no point.

Your point about the grain is exactly why I ask.

Maybe I need to laminate?

DoubleEnder

Visit site
This boat was built in 1963, its had at least 2 transoms, probably 3, and 4 different engine installs, 2 of them twin outdrive, now shaft, its fair to say she's been pulled about.

See the frame shown, I rather fancy bolting and gluing a wood floor in there, a kind of boomerang shape, tapering outwards. I'm happy with my plan from a structure perspective.

I've got a lump of timber, reddish, was a stair tread from an old school, hard as nails, if I cut the boomerang so the grain in the new part is horizontal across the boat, is that ok?

20231007-140657.jpg

20231007-140657.jpg
Ok. But not ideal. The grain should really follow the curve, so that means locating a ‘crook’ in an appropriate timber, realistically oak. Possible, but it might be easier to achieve the same result by making up a laminated floor. I think the timber species would be less critical if it Is laminated

fisherman

Visit site
If I want a crook I can find oak up the Helford river, preferably that is fallen and has been lying in the water for years. Any green oak will move far too much.
How big are the other frames?

Apparenbtly the navy used to send boats up the Helford to cut the scrub oak for repairs.

Hacker

Visit site
I suspect 5mm might be too thick. You could try one and see if it will conform. My guess would be 3mm. Don’t you have a wall paper steamer?

burgundyben

Visit site
Seems I might get away with laminating 3/16 Iroke, but I had a brain wave, I could just bolt a ply half bulkhead to the fore or aft face of the timbers I was thinking of bolting the floor too. It would achieve same thing. Just gotta get the 4" exhaust through.

fisherman

Visit site
Seems I might get away with laminating 3/16 Iroke, but I had a brain wave, I could just bolt a ply half bulkhead to the fore or aft face of the timbers I was thinking of bolting the floor too. It would achieve same thing. Just gotta get the 4" exhaust through.
If you are able to have such a bulkhead you can use timber instead of ply, on top of the frame, if the top is level and the grain goes across.