A Luddites forum??

TamarMike

Visit site
Steady on, old boy. Hoisting the sails - they're the white flappy things, right? - is one thing, stopping the engine is quite another. What with chart plotters (plural), AIS, autopilot, radar, electric toilet, fridge, microwave oven, VHF, DVD player and so on, even ten minutes would be enough to flatten the batteries.

Incidentally, I've just won a feet/fathoms cockpit repeater for my B&G echo sounder on eBay. Once I've replaced the metric one do I qualify for gold membership of the luddite group?

Does that mean I am not allowed to join because my lead line is marked in metres?

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Does that mean I am not allowed to join because my lead line is marked in metres?

Hmm. Difficult. But I think the lead line outweighs the metres. You're in.

arent we getting it mixed up with the classic boat forum.

Nah - that's all stockbrokers with stick-on beards and carefully distressed smocks.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
There's the devil to pay and no pitch hot!

1)
Hmm. Difficult. But I think the lead line outweighs the metres. You're in.

2)Nah - that's all stockbrokers with stick-on beards and carefully distressed smocks.

1)But even Sunscum 37's in Port Solent have a lead line- in metres.

2)You've been reading your Des Sleightholme collection again. There'll be Old Harry to pay for this when the OGA see your post.
All the ones I know are classic boatbuilders or construction workers.

Oh and does my archaic terminology and grey beard let me join?

If I believe that all Race Officers and asymmetric spinnaker crews in Chi Hbr should be dealt with by King Herod at birth, will it be enough to get this new forum's Moderator's job for life?

Last edited:

jdc

Visit site
remember these?

logshut.jpg

calculators forsooth, can't trust 'em. And as for GPS - the work of Satan.

Tidewaiter2

Visit site
OOOer, Missus!

No. Because you probably have a fruity vocabulary which would be a **** off position for the current management.

Is that fruity, one wonders, as in "up yottie" braying, plummy, Hurrah tones, Deah Boy, like the posh corporate nobs on Sunscum yachts or RYS, used as camo to ensure one blends in in the Anchor.

or fruity words from me north, as in, "F---g do me a Bl@@ding favour, Guv,do i look like an f@£$5g toff, leave it aaaout" which is me indigeous and fthnic accent used when impeded in a narrow channel by a Topper star burst?

So the current management is not an Equal Opportunities one then?

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I'm sorry but as we are all dealing in bytes we are all barred. To misquote a Marx brother: "we can't join a forum that would use the internet!"

That aside: does 37 year old plastic let me in; I use an oil lamp? But I have heard of GPS and have yearnings for a fridge!

Tidewaiter2

Visit site
Oi Aladdin!

I'm sorry but as we are all dealing in bytes we are all barred. To misquote a Marx brother: "we can't join a forum that would use the internet!"

That aside: does 37 year old plastic let me in; I use an oil lamp? But I have heard of GPS and have yearnings for a fridge!

Boy Service does not count for Pension!
Even 16 year old boats have an oil lamp!

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest