??A Long Term British Visitor's Brexit Survival Checklist - Post 31st Jan 2020.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Speaking from a Portugal perception, a registered, resident Brit will enjoy the full benefits of the Portuguese Health Service so I don't see the benefit of holding a S1.I look to others for clarification.

and if you have an accident across the border in Spain and are incapacitated ?
[/QUOTE]

Easy, Portuguese EHIC covers you.

nortada

Visit site
When I applied for my S1 I called the DWP from here in Greece, they specifically asked me on what date I left the UK but they didn't ask for how long I would be out of the UK and they didn't ask if it was permanent. However, the S1 form itself says that it's '...for healthcare in your State of residence' which implies permanent residence. The guidance notes that come with the S1 form talks about '...if you or any family member should return to the UK to live...' so it's pretty clear that the intention of the S1 is that you are living (and thus resident) elsewhere than the UK.
Thats the way I read but

Tony Cross

Visit site
Thats the way I read but
I agree, but I think cruising sailors, and others who are 'nomadic' within the EU, didn't feature in the thinking that went into these reciprocal arrangements. I think governments have assumed that people are either living in one country or living in the other, with just occasional visits back to their country of nationality.

I would expect that nothing will change until someone is refused healthcare in one place or another and decides to take it to court. Only then will this 'grey area' get any attention.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I agree, but I think cruising sailors, and others who are 'nomadic' within the EU, didn't feature in the thinking that went into these reciprocal arrangements.

Compared to the general population who only move around for short holidays or work, we're a tiny minority even if you include nomadic camper vans, particularly as many of us don't want to be seen to have left the UK for much of the year. I doubt the EU realise just how much we collectively spend.

nortada

Visit site
Compared to the general population who only move around for short holidays or work, we're a tiny minority even if you include nomadic camper vans, particularly as many of us don't want to be seen to have left the UK for much of the year. I doubt the EU realize just how much we collectively spend.

Pretty certain, The Algarve is only too aware how much is spent. They also realize that much of the tourist industry is managed by expats.

This explains the determination to maintain business as usual.