a geeky question

Birdseye

Visit site
my English in laws, living in Spain, have just bought themselves a new PC. But it talks Spanish - not surprising really - and their Spanish simply isnt good enough to understand what its saying when they dont understand computers anyway..

How do they change over the language to English? The language settings in control panel dont seem to do much, so is it an MS download, or a config file or what? XP by the way.

There must be some liveaboard who has had to tackle this issue

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

BrendanS

Visit site
Control panel only selects text input language.

To actually change the language XP operates in you need to buy and install the Windows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack.

<hr width=100% size=1>Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Might be tricky in Spanish but when I look at XP options if I choose "Help and Support" option and drill down I can change the language it talks to me in.

Also as I recall when initialising the XP system on my notebook for the first time it asked me for the primary language for MMI (that's Man Machine Interface) communication - so why didn't yours??

Glad to help further if I can,

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
As I've already posted, this option will only work if you have the Multi Language Interface Pack installed. It doesn't come with XP as standard, you have to buy and install it.

I drilled down in help and support as you did, and got the following:

To change the language used for menus and dialog boxes
Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
On the Languages tab, under Language used in menus and dialogs, click the language you want.
Notes

To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
This option is only available in the Windows Multilingual User Interface Pack. If you are interested in this product, please contact the Microsoft office nearest you for more information.

<hr width=100% size=1>Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.