a few boat comforts ...

rkane

Visit site
we've just bought a 32' steel boat and intend to live aboard her and let the house. At present, she's just got very basic systems on her - cold manual water and two betteries charging from an alternator - one for engine and one for lights / nav equipment. into this system we want to add hot water, a cabin heater, a fridge and, possibly, a small dehumidifier such as the new 12v model from Desivent.( At the moment the boat suffers quite badle from condenstation - especially in the forecabin - although we will be improving the insulation over this winter which should help) The problem is, as complete novices in this area of boating, we're completely overwhelmed by the number of options that exist. What we could do with is some advice from people who already have 'complete' systems up and running. we are thinking of investing in a small generator to keep up with electrical requirements as we will have only very infrequent access to shore power and quite like the idea of a dickinson type cabin heater rather than a blown air system. We are also thinking of fittting a calorifier for water heating. Are these good ideas? Thanks ever so much in advance if you can give us any advice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Dickinson heater, good idea, doesn't use battery power, calorifier, also good idea as long as you are using your engine, to heat the water. Genny very good idea, if you have the room, I don't think you will have for an installed system in 32 feet. De-humidifier, no, insulate instead. Increase your sometic battery capaicty and put a smart reulator on your alternator, maybe also uprate to a larger alternator. Basically your questions leave a lot of room, you need to decide what your priorities are, cold beer etc. and your cruising grounds, then we can be of more help, good luck, keep asking!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Yes agree, its a good list but ...

... a lot to fit in a 32' yacht and live aboard.

If Rkane is going to cruise to warmer climes then the heater and dehumidifier won't be needed, and generally more space will have to be reserved for food, books and sailing equipment.

A generator is useful but a noisy cumbersome beast. Alternatives might include uprating the engine alternator, wind generator (also noisy), solar panels. None of these provide mains power, but a decent inverter will allow for some mains use.

All sailing is a compromise!

G

Hi!
Do you have gas on board?
if so have you considered an "Ascot" (Instant) type heater rather than a calorifier
regards
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>robinwdunham

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hi as a recently re registered corgi heating engineer I don`t think that a open flued Ascot can be used in a room used for sleeping ,or without a permanent, open vent,in a kitchen /saloon space.
So in conclusion die by carbon Mono or drowned through open vent ,the choice is yours imho cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

G

Hi Bob!
as a Corgi engineer you are correct but however there are, I am sure, room sealed "ascot" type water heaters suitable for use on l.p.g. ? I used the term "ascot" type water heater in much the same way as I would use "hoover" to cover vacuum cleaners. Also your corgi registration doesn`t cover LPG on boats as yet( different set of standards although similar). I guess like many of us you have had to do you CCN1recently ? to comply.

Kind regards, and many thanks for picking me up on the detail
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>robinwdunham

summerwind

Visit site
I think this is all down to personal preference. I moved aboard on a permanent basis last June. The first surprise was how much room I didn't have. It took quite a long time to fit everything in - and know where I had stowed it :)

Regardless of what I have heard others say, I am very glad that I have got a gennie. I also installed a combination microwave cooker. It means my standard of cooking on board is no different from the appalling standard that it was in my house. I like the idea of an Ascot type water heater. I have to ask what is the difference between the fumes coming from such a heater and boiling a kettle on a gas hob? You need a fridge. I have the combination type. It will run on gas, 12v or 240v. Again, I have heard people say these are NBG. My experience is that it is very BG. It does not flatten my batteries when running on 12v, but see below. It will freeze the milk without any problems when running on gas when anchored or on the mooring and of course, has no problems at all when mains power is applied when on the marina.

I also believe that you should have far more domestic battery capacity than you think you will need. A hefty battery charger so that you can charge from the gennie and a hefty inverter. A wind generator and solar panels are a must as far as I am concerned.

I would also invest in GOOD mattresses. You spend a lot of your time asleep and I see no sense in roughing it when you don't have to. Life isn't a dress rehearsal. I bought some foam mattresses that are made in Italy. They are rolled up when you buy them. Once you have them in the boat, you remove the packing and let them "Inflate." As comfortable as any mattress that I have ever slept on.

I agree that you should insulate the boat. Before I fully insulated mine condensation and dampness was a real problem, as is the cold in winter and heat in summer. That was before I moved aboard, so being there all the time might make a difference. I wouldn't worry about the dehumidifier.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I have an open flue system onboard, with an open vent above, never had any problem with CO (I have a monitor) or drowning, as the vent has a dorade, I also cook with gas and have never had a problem, as long as the boat is adequately vented, which it should anyway. Also condider the non-permanent pilot light (instant on with electric ignition) type of heater, it saves gas and fumes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Ah but what about your low level vent as required by the regs?as your saloon could be considered a compartment and it is probely under 12cubic meters !
Just more rules to confuse people cheers bob t

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Ha ha .Hello Robin
yes you are correct have recently completed the full course I only did it for a small wager . bloody lot harder than it was last time ,and i don`t need to as I am retired. Was not tryng to pick you up on detail ,but make a joke out of interpretation of the regs .All the best cheers bob t

tcm

Visit site
Re: cruising grounds

yes, agree. The proposed cruising grounds is a valid question. If med, then could simply leave lots of these till later, and they could be cheaper fitted abroad. But if Baltic then they need to be sorted. I'm rather arrogantly assuming the questioner is in the UK, whioch he may not be of course...

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
well actually, my bilges vent through a large mushroom vent on deck, as my engines also breath from this area, no shortage of air zooming about, I like ventilation, ventilation doesn't cause rot!! if you get my drift.

<hr width=100% size=1>