A day out in February

Harpsden

www.skipperslog.com
With not too many posts with pictures of boats at sea on the forum at the moment and yet another rainy weekend I thought a few pictures from February might be of interest.

I moved our new (to us) boat to Lymington in Mid January. I wrote about it here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?344346-Delivery-Passage.

After the move in January I took every opportunity to crawl all over the boat getting to know the systems and understand how everything worked as well as looking for any problems that needed fixing or improvements to be made. After that February was set as the month to get everything as I wanted. I wondered why there was so much to do on a three year old boat that had passed its survey with flying colours then I realised I was trying to achieve in two months what had taken me four years with the previous boat.

The boat was lifted on the first Monday in February and all the works I wanted to get done were done ready for the re-launch the following Monday.

After that it was a case of waiting for a nice day to come along for the first passage with my wife on board. The following Saturday looked promising so at 11:00 we set off for Cowes with the Lymington river looking lovely.

1362216132.jpg

When I wrote up the delivery trip someone commented I hadn't taken a wake shot so I made up for that this time:-

1362216148.jpg

Cruising at 11 knots is much more restful than the 22 knots of the previous boat and it is nice to have the autopilot on. With the double helm seat and a smoother steadier ride Freya was doing what we wanted making passages much more sociable. The starboard side deck directly accessed from the helm is also nice for moving around. (I promise on longer trips I will stow the fenders properly!). With the Solent calm it also gave the opportunity to test fuel consumption at different speeds and plot the graph of fuel usage against speed.

1362216163.jpg

For what was such a nice day there was very little traffic around and plenty of empty pontoons at Cowes Yacht Haven; one of the really nice things about winter boating.

1362216209.jpg

A good lunch in Cowes and a walk up and down the High Street. There seemed to be a lot of empty shops or maybe it is always like that at this time of year. The dark clouds had gathered while we had lunch so it was a cloudy trip back to Lymington but then the skies cleared and there was a lovely end to the afternoon.

1362216230.jpg

1362219351.jpg

A nice bit of winter boating with everything working as it should. Why has the weather been so bad since!

Harpsden

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!......its days out like that, that make use persevere with all the crud weather ... ENJOY your new "ship" and will be nice to see you out on the wetstuff...

Harpsden

www.skipperslog.com
Great post, thanks. What are the issues you are dealing with?

Thanks rafiki_.

There were the usual out of water jobs such as antifoul, hull polish, new anodes, running gear check etc. In addition some diesel lines needed extra securing, an engine mount needed to be removed, blasted and re-painted (following an earlier water pump leak), I'd found a very small leak on the speed log thru hull, some string needed removing from the stern thruster where it had got wrapped up, some catches needed repair, I had the heads converted from sea water to fresh water, a Sea-Me installed and a new rope cutter fitted. The picture below shows the running gear with the new cutter just before she was re-launched.

1362216054.jpg

One of the batteries was not correctly wired to the monitor at the helm and the engine bilge alarm needed re-positioning very slightly to stop a false alarm problem. After an earlier thread on here I also changed the bathing platform ladder from velcro fixing in the storage position to pipe-clip type fixing so it can be deployed from the water if I ever go MOB when single-handing. There were lots of other small changes which were not problems but just me getting everything exactly as I wanted it.

As I said above I have crawled all over every square inch of the boat looking for any issues whatsoever and doing my best to make sure I fully understand how all the systems function ready for the new season.

z1ppy

Visit site
Great post! Really liking the st34. It's well up on the list at the moment! How do you find the living space? I there enough? Does she roll when going slow (displacement) in any sea?

Harpsden

www.skipperslog.com
Great post! Really liking the st34. It's well up on the list at the moment! How do you find the living space? I there enough? Does she roll when going slow (displacement) in any sea?

Thanks z1ppy. The space on board is really good for the size of boat with plenty of room to move around. The real bonus is the amount of storage space available with the cupboards in the main saloon and the really large lazarette. The forward cabin also has lots of space under the bed with the mattress 'hinged' to make access easy. We've not got anywhere near filling it yet! I've changed the table on board as the standard one is very heavy with a large base and awkward to manoeuvre to get access to the engine bay.

Not had enough experience yet of her sea-keeping to answer your second question completely but those who have can't seem to speak highly enough so I hope they are right. In the seas we have experienced so far everything has been fine with no roll issues

There are several good video videos on youtube from boattest.com which are worth looking at if you haven't seen them already.

The large lazarette is designed to take an air-conditioning unit and generator for the US market. To show the ST34's qualities in the USA Beneteau sent one around the Great Loop covering over 5,000 miles in four months with 12 crew changes. http://www.thegreatestloop.com/