A Cheese for all seasons

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Lin Pardey has a useful section on storing cheese in olive oil. Makes sense.

Edam is a very boring cheese but a whole one keeps remarkably well - until you cut it.

Most supermarket plastic wrapped and heat sealed cheeses do reasonably well.

G

What about the cheese in the toothpaste tubes? you did ask /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Forbsie

Visit site
There is a Spanish cheese that is sold in tins. Manchego, I think.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Dutch cheese sealedin wax keeps, so a couple of little Dutch cheeses keeps nicely. You did want a serious reply, I presume?

BrendanS

Visit site
..in which case, a complete wheel of blue cheese. So covered in mould, that nothing else willl grow there ( these moulds are similar to penecillin, and kill off other moulds and bacterial growths)

Ohdrat

Visit site
Sardo Pecorino.. v hard cheese also from Itlay .. traditionally made in the S of Italy I believe and is older than refrigeration... so will survive in hot conditions.. It is "sweeter" than parmesan and is a little similar to an extremly hard but youngish cheddar, with less of the tangy after taste.. Sardo Pecorino can be used like paremsan or in salads with bread/crackers etc.. I love it.

Incidentally we used to keep a truckle of cheddar in our cellar and carve off wedges as we needed them.. If you buy truckles of hard cheese they will keep without refrigeration and if you buy a "young" truckle by the time you have finished (depending on consumption) it will have "matured"