A boating first-man bites dog

kid's inheritance

Visit site
On the weekend, the boss was helming in a tight spot.As is her wont, she takes all way off before commencing the manoeuvre. Suddenly a shout from astern.
"Speed up, we're losing steerage"
Glancing back from the bathing platform a yacht which had been 40 yards astern was now some 20 yards and closing (under power not sail ).
As the boss had set the boat in the position she wanted , she was able to comply but chuntered for the next 10 minutes that now raggies were moaning about mobo'ers being too slow(this was in a 3 knot zone btw ).
It transpired that said raggies had just taken the yacht and had had 4 attempts to get back on their berth so were feeling a little frazzled.
However when I had my first driving lesson in a car, I am pretty sure the method of slowing and stopping were covered in the 1st lesson!
Rob

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
Most of the raggies on our marina are pretty good, but there are some who don't think that being able to maneouvre under power has anything to do with sailing. There's one on our pontoon who hits the front of our, and just about every boat on our side of the pontoon, almost every time he goes out. No apologies either. Every impact just makes him push the throttle further open. He even managed to bend his anchor on the end post, he hit it that hard. At least two of our neighbours have complained about him and he was told to take some lessons- not made that much difference!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
On the weekend, the boss was helming in a tight spot.As is her wont, she takes all way off before commencing the manoeuvre. Suddenly a shout from astern.
"Speed up, we're losing steerage"
Glancing back from the bathing platform a yacht which had been 40 yards astern was now some 20 yards and closing (under power not sail ).
As the boss had set the boat in the position she wanted , she was able to comply but chuntered for the next 10 minutes that now raggies were moaning about mobo'ers being too slow(this was in a 3 knot zone btw ).
It transpired that said raggies had just taken the yacht and had had 4 attempts to get back on their berth so were feeling a little frazzled.
However when I had my first driving lesson in a car, I am pretty sure the method of slowing and stopping were covered in the 1st lesson!
Rob

I say the same regulary coming in or out the Hamble, im 5/6 knots on tickover when a rags in front taking the river at 3 knots where he wants to be its not easy, one mouthed at me only last weekend and asked me to use one engine, just shows how much he knew about helming a twin screw planing hull motor cruiser on tickover!

Resolution

Visit site
As a Hamble-based raggie, I apologise for my fellow sailors' lack of understanding. It just makes me wish we could all get out there one day and swap over for a while - we could teach you what the wind does and how to tack, you could show us the delights of twin screw steering.

So who is going to organise this????

Elessar

Visit site
As a Hamble-based raggie, I apologise for my fellow sailors' lack of understanding. It just makes me wish we could all get out there one day and swap over for a while - we could teach you what the wind does and how to tack, you could show us the delights of twin screw steering.

So who is going to organise this????

I wish it was a compulsory part of being a YM. Not practical but one can dream.....

Elessar

Visit site
I say the same regulary coming in or out the Hamble, im 5/6 knots on tickover when a rags in front taking the river at 3 knots where he wants to be its not easy, one mouthed at me only last weekend and asked me to use one engine, just shows how much he knew about helming a twin screw planing hull motor cruiser on tickover!

I had to read thus 3 times. For the avoidance of doubt it is sarcasm isn't it?

l'escargot

Visit site
Yes I have forward and reverse gears, and reverse also acts as the brake. I thought all boats with an engine came with these.
I doubt very much whether you learnt to how to use them on your first driving lesson in a car. It is a common criticism that too many motorboaters think driving a boat is "just like driving a car" - it isn't.