A better Soft Shackle?

Neeves

Visit site
I find it interesting that Dyneema was introduced in the late 70s early 80s. Rothmans was the first 'big' yacht of which I'm, aware that was fully kitted out with Dyneema (supplied by Bridon) - but there must have been others. Bridon then sold that part of their business. To save weight Rothmans stripped off the outer braided cover for all lines contained in the mast or boom but not the exposed reefing lines, nor (I guess) the sheets (for fear of UV - how things change). We changed all our running rigging on our X99 in about 1990 (and I still have some of this original cordage).

Thinwater, post 10 and post 16 illustrate that a 'soft shackle' is hardly new but it took 50 years for some to become frenetic about the new device. Button knots are hardly new - used by Chinese ladies of fashion as the positive closure of their Cheongsams. Interestingly button knots on Cheongsams are very secure (despite being made from slippery silk), both a devil to secure and then release, or they would not be used :)

I wonder what 'new' developments are lurking waiting to be re-invented and become the new 'must haves' - as B27 outlines.
I can't remember the last time I sailed a yacht with a wire halyard.
We have them on some dinghies, where it acts as the forestay when sailing.

Most boats come pre-equipped with stainless shackles which are perfectly satisfactory.
Some people like to change them because they can and they have nothing better to do.
Soft shackles and LFRs were 'news' 5 or more years ago, people went crazy putting them everywhere like teenagers adding bling to their mopeds.

I too don't recall the last yacht I sailed on with a wire halyard, Etchells, - but I can still hear them :( - as I type and a cold front passes through).

With most technologies, or applications, there is little need for original thought - the ideas are there (maybe unseen) just waiting for some imaginative soul to add newer materials to old concepts.

Other developments, some of which still struggle for acceptance, replace heavy chain with light, HT, chain in the rode, use retired climbing rope as snubbers (better than going to landfill). Kevlar then Carbon fibre replacing glass......

But I have tunnel vision :) - others may make other suggestions.

We maybe could benefit from a bit of lateral thinking.

What other devices are hidden in plain sight (that we never knew we needed).

Jonathan

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
"....there is little need for original thought - the ideas are there (maybe unseen) just waiting for some imaginative soul to add newer materials to old concepts......
.....We maybe could benefit from a bit of lateral thinking. What other devices are hidden in plain sight (that we never knew we needed)....."

Thinking just a bit out of the box.... Surely this is the right place to bounce potentially-useful ideas around? There are plenty of 'refuseniks', but they may be politely ignored.
The rigging tasks on board a sailboat surely don't change all that much, but modern materials science and some lateral thinking produce remakable advances in convenience and capability.

'Dog bones' are not new, but now they come in exotic alloys and colours. 'Soft shackles' have been in use as short strops and nippers for several hundred years, but the use of strong HMWPE/Dyneema has expanded uses one-hundedfold. 'Low friction rings' were made up in hardwood, widely used in standing rigging of ships, and sewn into working sails; now available in light alloy and used in twings, barber-haulers, cascades and a score of other applications.

Modern sailboats are full of devices which have been conceived then refined by users. Members of the Amateur Yacht Research Society ( AYRS ) have, over the decades, come up with dozens of ideas which others have tweaked and improved e.g. the self-tailing winch, the clam-cleat, foiling.... even fluorescent cassette tape on shrouds as wind-indicators.

Effective anchors made from light alloy instead of drop-forged steel, non-corroding through-hulls made of Marelon instead of brass or bronze, LED lighting instead of paraffin lamps. Induction hobs for cooking instead of a coke-fired range.

Have we still the imagination to conceive of better ways of doing things? Have we the wit to recognise something better, then adopt it?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
"....there is little need for original thought - the ideas are there (maybe unseen) just waiting for some imaginative soul to add newer materials to old concepts......
.....We maybe could benefit from a bit of lateral thinking. What other devices are hidden in plain sight (that we never knew we needed)....."

Thinking just a bit out of the box.... Surely this is the right place to bounce potentially-useful ideas around? There are plenty of 'refuseniks', but they may be politely ignored.
The rigging tasks on board a sailboat surely don't change all that much, but modern materials science and some lateral thinking produce remarkable advances in convenience and capability.

'Dog bones' are not new, but now they come in exotic alloys and colours. 'Soft shackles' have been in use as short strops and nippers for several hundred years, but the use of strong HMWPE/Dyneema has expanded uses one-hundredfold. 'Low friction rings' were made up in hardwood, widely used in standing rigging of ships, and sewn into working sails; now available in light alloy and used in twings, barber-haulers, cascades and a score of other applications.

Modern sailboats are full of devices which have been conceived then refined by users. Members of the Amateur Yacht Research Society ( AYRS ) have, over the decades, come up with dozens of ideas which others have tweaked and improved e.g. the self-tailing winch, the clam-cleat, foiling.... even fluorescent cassette tape on shrouds as wind-indicators.

Effective anchors made from light alloy instead of drop-forged steel, non-corroding through-hulls made of Marelon instead of brass or bronze, LED lighting instead of paraffin lamps. Induction hobs for cooking instead of a coke-fired range.

Have we still the imagination to conceive of better ways of doing things? Have we the wit to recognize something better, then adopt it?
The methods for lashing the rings in place are ... historic?

Slippery Dyneema opened up new applications for low friction rings. But old applications are still there.

1725332855343.jpeg