90 days possibly history!

Sailfree

Visit site
i news website today report Spain is applying to Brussels to allow extension of 90 day rule and allow extensions on temporary stays.

Spain relies on its tourism for 12% of its GDP. Turism has seen a fall as a result of Brexit.

One important aspect missing are the longer winter rentals where Brits go to Spain for 5-6 months to avoid UK winter energy costs.

See what happens as all EU countries have to agree.

Not sure how much Spain or Portugal enforce the 90 days or happy to turn the Nelson Eye.

Last edited:
Visit site
Interesting, as one who lives abroad on a yacht. Note, however, as far as I understand, Schengen Countries are 'free' to put in place their own visa arrangements if they so wish, as Portugal is doing so with their digital nomad visa for third country nationals It doesn't require other members states to agree and sanction national level decisions , just their own legislature.....and to be frank, the Med countries are not rushing forward with visas to help Brits or other 3CNs. It's weird as all we do is bring significant amounts of money to their economies with, in most cases, zero costs.

jordanbasset

Visit site
I have heard before the story that Spain is supposed to be extending thec90 days for a few years now from some social media feeds, but have not seen anything official reported on any of the news websites to confirm it in all that time.
I would love it to be true, but so far it has not been the case
Does any one have a reputable link from an official source, if not I unfortunately remain sceptical.

rib

Visit site
I read something in the last day or two on a fellow cruisers fb .in greece if you have a transit log you can stay up to six months and still go ashore and such..i persume you must move along abit ..it was said that if you arrive by plane the greeks will stamp your passport out when doing the log .i have no idea how true this is ,but im hopefull.

dgadee

Visit site
Turkey for us next year, I think. They have the simplest tourist extended visa to apply for it appears.

Some here say there is no economic benefit to the EU from 90+ days but I don't believe that. It must be of benefit to tourist economies to attract visitors.

RupertW

Visit site
Turkey for us next year, I think. They have the simplest tourist extended visa to apply for it appears.

Some here say there is no economic benefit to the EU from 90+ days but I don't believe that. It must be of benefit to tourist economies to attract visitors.
There is almost no benefit for 90+ days. The vast majority of tourist income is 7-14 days stay with a bit more for a few weeks. Then you get the large numbers in places like Spain who are expat residents over 180 days. That leaves the miniscule numbers who stayed less than 180 days but more than 90. Not much impact there.

dgadee

Visit site
There is almost no benefit for 90+ days. The vast majority of tourist income is 7-14 days stay with a bit more for a few weeks. Then you get the large numbers in places like Spain who are expat residents over 180 days. That leaves the miniscule numbers who stayed less than 180 days but more than 90. Not much impact there.

The vast majority are hugely relevant to the tourist trade. The expats who pay taxes in Spain are likewise relevant. But have you figures for the "miniscule number" who don't want to pay taxes and want to spend longer than 90 days? Anecdotally, I know several (apart from myself and my wife) who have been caught by this Schengen trap, so in my personal experience they do exist. I personally don't know any motorhomers or people with cottages in France which I presume ups the numbers. Wealth is now in the hands of a retired older generation (good pensions, house prices ...) who have time to travel and if I was a tourist economy I would want a slice of that wealth.

RupertW

Visit site
The vast majority are hugely relevant to the tourist trade. The expats who pay taxes in Spain are likewise relevant. But have you figures for the "miniscule number" who don't want to pay taxes and want to spend longer than 90 days? Anecdotally, I know several (apart from myself and my wife) who have been caught by this Schengen trap, so in my personal experience they do exist. I personally don't know any motorhomers or people with cottages in France which I presume ups the numbers. Wealth is now in the hands of a retired older generation (good pensions, house prices ...) who have time to travel and if I was a tourist economy I would want a slice of that wealth.
I agree I know a few too but that’s natural given this forum and other similarly minded and aged groups I’m part of on social media but that doesn’t make them remotely significant compared to tourists and residents. So it’s only a tiddly slice of that wealth which is better pursued by pushing them to become residents or getting more money out of them in the 90 days. Retired people are naturally more stingy the longer they stay somewhere and there isn’t much money made from supermarkets compared to meals out.

dgadee

Visit site
I agree I know a few too but that’s natural given this forum and other similarly minded and aged groups I’m part of on social media but that doesn’t make them remotely significant compared to tourists and residents. So it’s only a tiddly slice of that wealth which is better pursued by pushing them to become residents or getting more money out of them in the 90 days. Retired people are naturally more stingy the longer they stay somewhere and there isn’t much money made from supermarkets compared to meals out.

We will have to agree to disagree. Spain, Portugal and Greece would be giving up 3 months of potential spending for no good reason. I do agree that I am a bit stingy, though.

RupertW

Visit site
Email received from Spain , Portugal and France to myself say I'm welcome to go and live there when every I like .
Is that nice of them .
That’s well deserved because like the 10 thousand inter-country longstay cruising yachties who dwarf the 306 million normal tourists who visit the Med each year you also spend an average 200 euros a day per person on local businesses what with marina accommodatio fees and eating out for lunch and dinner every day. I knew those pesky countries would kowtow with that sort of financial clout.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That’s well deserved because like the 10 thousand inter-country longstay cruising yachties who dwarf the 306 million normal tourists who visit the Med each year you also spend an average 200 euros a day per person on local businesses what with marina accommodatio fees and eating out for lunch and dinner every day. I knew those pesky countries would kowtow with that sort of financial clout.
I think them knowing I'm the four richest man in the world my had help .:)