90/180 day rule - a practical example

jonrarit

Visit site
In planning our cruising this summer I've been playing with the schengen calculator and found an interesting scenario which I hope will help others understand the "rolling" effect of the 90/180 day rule . Screenshots of the schengen calculator attached to help explain.

Ok lets say the boat has been wintered in Greece. We fly out 16/04/22 and cruise greece for 2 months departing for Croatia (outwith Schengen) on 14/06/22. Total days in Schengen at that point is 60 days

We then cruise Croatia and plan to return to Greece (back into Schengen) on 12/09/22 - at this point our authorised stay back in greece is only 30 Days (see pic one)

However if we delay our entry back into greece by 1 day ie 13/09/22 our authorised stay is now 90 days (see pic two)

It took me a while to get my head round this but it's all to do with the "looking back 90 days" from the date of re-entry to determine how long you can stay looking forward

30 days permitted.JPG90 days permitted.JPG

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I don't think the day of re-entry is the deciding factor. (Glitch in the calculator software, perhaps?)

On any/every day you are in Schengen, there needs to be no more than 89 previous days you were within it over the previous continuous 179 days, as I understand it.

Whether you had zero or 179 days in Schengen prior to your entry doesn't change the need to comply with the 90 in 180 rule on any and every subsequent day, surely?

jonrarit

Visit site
OK I've tried it in two other schengen calculators and the result is the same. The crucial date is the 12/13th September as the re-entry date. If I return on the 12th they both flag up red but make it the 13th and all is green.

Pictures attached

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

jonrarit

Visit site
and another calculator showing the same... I think this could easily catch out the unwary long term cruiser trying to maximise their summer stay in europe

Capture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

RAI

Visit site
Anybody know if the 90 in 180 rule is per person or per passport? So if you have British and Australian passports, say, can you do 89 days on one, quick exit from Schengen for a day or two, followed by another 89 days on the second passport in Schengen?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Anybody know if the 90 in 180 rule is per person or per passport? So if you have British and Australian passports, say, can you do 89 days on one, quick exit from Schengen for a day or two, followed by another 89 days on the second passport in Schengen?

The two passports should work at the moment but maybe not in the future when the biometric database comes on line.

Shaddickp

Visit site
In your first example you are simply using up your left over allocation of 90 days, that is 30 days. In your 2nd example the 'used' days will drop out of the 180 day period before you use up all your remaining days, so for every day you stay in Greece one 'used' day drops out of the reckoning, hence you will get your full 90 days. This is not an error in any of the calculators. This hopefully will all be academic as according to the CA Greece is close to being able to issue Short Stay Tourist visas which will allow I believe a full 180 day stay. This is currently available in Sweden (A Schengen country ) and is called a 'Visitors Permit'.