80's volvo penta question

NeilT

Visit site
Evening all,
Having asked 2 official volvo penta techs and had 2 official replies "completely different" I thought I'd ask the people who will know.
I have a long history with volvo auto engines and know that an AQ131 is basically a B23. Now, apart from the obvious external changes and additions for marine use ie exh manifold, raw water pump etc and a downdraught carb what are the actual internal differences in things like crank rods pistons cam etc.
I can see possibly a different cam profile but anything else ?
Sorry if this has been done before but I cant find a definate answer
Thanks for reading
N

stelican

Visit site
Evening all,
Having asked 2 official volvo penta techs and had 2 official replies "completely different" I thought I'd ask the people who will know.
I have a long history with volvo auto engines and know that an AQ131 is basically a B23. Now, apart from the obvious external changes and additions for marine use ie exh manifold, raw water pump etc and a downdraught carb what are the actual internal differences in things like crank rods pistons cam etc.
I can see possibly a different cam profile but anything else ?
Sorry if this has been done before but I cant find a definate answer
Thanks for reading
N

There is an excellent book by a Mr Beardshaw that covered this period of volvo penta development it contains all the technical data, Sorry I dont know the publisher of hand but if pushed could could find it !

Peanuts

Visit site
Hi

The book as already mentioned is called "The Volvo Penta Aquamatic Boat Engine by Keith Beardow, published by David & Charles. First edition 1980. ISBN 0 7153 8000 1

Hope this is of some help, it's a great book by the way.

NeilT

Visit site
Guys, thanks for the information didn't even occur to me someone might have written a book.
Like I said I knew i'd get a proper answer here
Thanks again
N