80s Jeanneau and osmosis

Boeingdr

Visit site
I have just sold my boat rather faster than expected and am left boatless and looking for a new (used) boat.
I am looking for something around 30-35ft up to max £27000 suitable for extended family cruising on west coat of scotland as well as single handed sailing.
I am interested in a 1982 Jeanneau Melody but have been told by a surveyer that Jeanneaus of that period are prone to osmosis and keel problems due to building techniques.
Any comments good or bad? I like the look of the boat but its been on the market a long time, makes me wonder ?
Not a lot else in the market that interests me at that price, I may just have to wait a while and save more money!

MacW

Visit site
I wouldn`t argue with a surveyor, but the Melody in particular had a reputation as one very tough boat. No personal experience of other than standing on one, but there`s a small charter operation near Glenborrowdale Castle on Loch Sunart ran ( or maybe still runs ) two of them for donkey`s years. A survey would soon reveal problems on any particular boat.

Aja

Visit site
I used to own a 1981 Jeanneau Rush, and this is the first I've heard that Jeanneaus had keel or osmosis problems.

As for the Melody, a big, heavy, go anywhere boat. Think there is one at Holy Loch? Used to race against another one at Rhu. Pretty bullet-proof boats.

Were they not designed to do some one-design ocean race????

Donald

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
I had a Symphonie (32') of that era and after a particularly abrupt grounding the hull cracked alongside the keel. I could make water come into the boat by waggling the saloon table pedestal. The Melody has a good reputation, maybe the construction is different.
My Symphonie didn't have osmosis.

Birdseye

Visit site
The osmosis comment is a red herring. The survey would say whether that boat actually had a problem so "proneness" doesnt matter. Most boats of that era that remain untreated will have some degree of osmosis problem.

Cant comment on the keel.

FullCircle

Visit site
Wasnt this the period/era (late 70's early 80s') when DuPont were using a formulation in their resin that led to a higher risk of osmosis. Certainly I remember Beneteau winning a court case for compensation.

Just a personal view, but no boat I know has sunk through osmosis causing structural issue, and its a very well known route for negotiating a fair discount off the asking price. After all, once its done (correctly) you effectively have a new under the waterline surface!

clouty

janeclout.com
Congratulations on selling your boat in the season, when best prices can be obtained. If you want a lot of boat for your money, perhaps you should keep your powder dry and wait for january next year to make a purchase, when prices are more negotiable. The money you will save will more than cover a charter or two...

Whaddya think? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jamesjermain

Visit site
I agree with Birdseye.

The Melody was a particularly good design and, as far as I am aware, was well built.

Beneteau's osmosis problems were unique to them and, if I remember correctly, rather later than 1982 although I may be wrong.

Aja

Visit site
I have sent a PM (private message)

Click on the flashing icon under your user name

Donald