7Kg Calor gas bottle.

CalicoJack

Visit site
I have been using 4.5Kg Propane Calor gas bottles, but I have now discovered that I can fit 7Kg bottles in my gas locker. Assuming that I go down this route the fittings on the 7Kg appears to be different to the 4.5K am I right in this thinking and is there anything else that I will need?

VicS

Visit site
I have been using 4.5Kg Propane Calor gas bottles, but I have now discovered that I can fit 7Kg bottles in my gas locker. Assuming that I go down this route the fittings on the 7Kg appears to be different to the 4.5K am I right in this thinking and is there anything else that I will need?
Do you mean butane?

Propane bottles have a female POL connection

The old 4.5 kg butane bottles had a 21.8 mm left hand male connection but larger sizes have a 21mm push on connection.
Do you have a cylinder mounted or a bulkhead mounted regulator?

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
They do, but this discussion appears to be about Butane cylinders which in the OP were incorrectly referred to as propane. (the small calor Propane is 3.9Kg, if the cylinder is 4.5Kg is is butane.
Which, of course, has also been discontinued

Humblebee

Visit site
At any rate, a new adapter and perhaps a new means of securing the larger bottle should see his problems resolved.https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/gas-bottle-floor-holder-bracket/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyZv-yq2qgQMVF4btCh2gyAnGEAQYByABEgJ-G_D_BwE

graham

Visit site
Your old left hand threaded screw on regulator wont go on the 7 kg bottle.

Best way is to buy the correct push on regulator for the new 7kg bottle and connect the gas hose directly on to it.

We are doing the same thing, 2 advantages are you dont need a spanner to attatch the push on regulator also the on /off valve is a lever that moves through 90 degrees to let the gas flow which is less likely to be left fully open by accident.

VicS

Visit site
Your old left hand threaded screw on regulator wont go on the 7 kg bottle.

Best way is to buy the correct push on regulator for the new 7kg bottle and connect the gas hose directly on to it.

We are doing the same thing, 2 advantages are you dont need a spanner to attatch the push on regulator also the on /off valve is a lever that moves through 90 degrees to let the gas flow which is less likely to be left fully open by accident.
It depends on whether he has a bottle or bulkhead mounted regulator. I asked in #3 but it is being kept secret.
If bottle mounted then a new clip on regulator, or the adapter suggested by wingcommander, is required. Preferably the clip on regulator.
If bulkhead mounted then the adapter is the solution.

oldgit

Visit site
Have finally just swapped an empty 4.5k butane for a full 7k butane via a local Calor gas agent. Charged £31.50 lnc Vat..
Fitted a new bottle mounted regulator.
With a bit of a struggle it just fitted in my gas locker