50 year old mast

Gladiateur

Visit site
Considering purchase of a cruising yacht built early 70s with original mast. Should I be concerned? were masts built over spec like the hulls in those days?
Any input appreciated

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
If not particularly thin, bendy and racey, should be fine. Most replacement masts on old boats are due to a dismasting where tangs, attachments etc have not probably been inspected regularly and failed.

adwuk

Visit site
When was the rig last checked? The mast itself will probably be OK, but as Long Keeler suggests, its the terminal connections that need inspection. I have a 50 year old boat, with her original mast, and as the standing rigging was at least 15 (but more likely 20) years old when we bought her, a full overhaul was the first thing we did.

Gladiateur

Visit site
Thanks Adwuk, Standing rigging nearer 20 yrs old, I would prefer new standing rigging after purchase and have requested a quote from the local riggers. I'm just hopeful the mast is up to it. Of course I expect the riggers to recommend a new stick lol

adwuk

Visit site
I'd be surprised if they recommended a new mast, but not at all surprised if they replace some of the mast fittings. Still, it can all add up!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Your insurance company will probably insisdt on new rigging if over 10 years old. Never heard of them demanding new mast unless survey said it was sh*t.

New rigging is going to be £700 to £1200 depending. Hope foresail furling system OK or add another £1300

Tranona

Visit site
I have just bought a 1979 boat with a basic masthead Proctor mast much the same as the one that will be on the Rival. Rigger has inspected it and nothing required for the mast itself. Budget +/- £2k for new rigging running rigging possibly and replace cables.

sailoppopotamus

Visit site
I'm far from an expert, but for what it's worth I'd be more concerned if the mast had been replaced as it would suggest that the boat has suffered a dismasting. A friend of mine had a cap shroud fail during a race; his mast survived the incident, but is somewhat S-shaped ever since. He's had no problems winning races on a national level for years since. I wouldn't worry if the standing rigging is sound.

Supertramp

Visit site
I have a 33 year old mast and all OK. As others have said it's the fittings,urigging and electric that will need checked.

Check carefully where any replacement fittings have been attached. If there has been any different metals contact between the aluminium mast and other metals you could get corrosion. I have an original spinnaker pole stored on the mast with corrosion around the end fitting probably from contact with the storage loop on the mast. Not serious on a pole but a worry on a mast.

Stemar

Visit site
The mast on my current boat is 38 years old. The riggers were quite happy with it when they replaced the standing rigging of a similar vintage. My previous boat was 51 and, while the mast was definitely scruffy, it was still sound according to the same rigger.

KAM

Visit site
My Proctor mast is 45 years old. Good as new. Cant see any problems anywhere. Worth a visual check for corrosion at any stainless to aluminium interfaces and any aluminium welds at the top. Also check theres been no bending or cracking at tangs.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I had a R32 from that era, electrolysis protection from dissimilar metals was not as appreciated as it is now. Unlikely to be a major issue but have a look at the inboard ends of the spreaders if you are taking the mast down. I removed mine and applied some duralac.

Gladiateur

Visit site
Thanks guys I'm getting a rigger to check it out and give me a quote early May. He will be doing another job nearby at that time,