50 watt solar panels Flexible. which one do you recommend

Zing

Visit site
Anecdotes from unreliable sources aren’t ideal, most wouldn’t know whether they have ETFE or not, and a large number of people have a weird vendetta against flexi panels so there’s a lot of FUD and misinformation thrown about on these kinds of threads.

I’ll take that as a no and carry on using my ETFE panels happily.
I’ve got no axe to grind and my eyes and ears are reliable sources of info as to what I’ve seen and heard. I’ve actually got a lot invested in ETFE panels and wish they were perfect, but I know they are not. There is no FUD. They are simply not as reliable as good glass panels, but they are better than PET and cheap flexible panels.

geem

Visit site
The Renogy in the first link are great - I've fitted literally hundreds over the last few years in all sizes and never had an issue and they perform really well
ThevRenovy Flexi panels seem to have a particularly low efficiently when you look at the data sheet

lustyd

Visit site
ThevRenovy Flexi panels seem to have a particularly low efficiently when you look at the data sheet
When I look at my 100W panel producing 104W in the UK sunshine for several hours a day though they’re good enough for me! They have a texture (little domes) that allows more sun to be captured without changing angle so are great even when flat.

Trident

Visit site
Size matters! The 175w panels are 21% which is very good - the 50w is rated at 15% which is very poor but my experience with them shows they perform as well as any of the 50s so whether that figure is wrong or all smaller panels are less efficient I can't say but I've had no issues with any Renogy panels and my biggest plus for them is that they last without delaminating which many of the more costly panels don't!

geem

Visit site
Size matters! The 175w panels are 21% which is very good - the 50w is rated at 15% which is very poor but my experience with them shows they perform as well as any of the 50s so whether that figure is wrong or all smaller panels are less efficient I can't say but I've had no issues with any Renogy panels and my biggest plus for them is that they last without delaminating which many of the more costly panels don't!
If was looking at sunbeam etfe. 23.5% efficient

Trident

Visit site
If was looking at sunbeam etfe. 23.5% efficient
I have no idea if thats accurate but last year the Maxeon 4 panels were universally acclaimed as the most efficient production panels ever made at 22.5% - all I could find on Sunbeam ETFE said 22.3% which is remarkable for a flexi panel if accurate but I can't find your figure of 23.5% ??

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
efficiency is irrelevant unless you have no space. In reality it's just a measure of area per w. A 50w panel delivers 50w in standard conditions regardless of its efficiency rating.

geem

Visit site
I have no idea if thats accurate but last year the Maxeon 4 panels were universally acclaimed as the most efficient production panels ever made at 22.5% - all I could find on Sunbeam ETFE said 22.3% which is remarkable for a flexi panel if accurate but I can't find your figure of 23.5% ??
Depends on which model
The SUNBEAMsystem Tough++ 126W Flush with its incredible 25.2% efficiency is simply the best solar panel available.

Pete7

Visit site
Anecdotes from unreliable sources aren’t ideal, most wouldn’t know whether they have ETFE or not, and a large number of people have a weird vendetta against flexi panels so there’s a lot of FUD and misinformation thrown about on these kinds of threads.

I’ll take that as a no and carry on using my ETFE panels happily.
Ok, photos taken perhaps after about 6 months and continued to get worse, though the panels did still work. Panel mounted with 6 velco circle pads.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 13

steveeasy

Visit site
Well looks like I’ll order a Renogy 50 watt flexi then. Not sure I want to pay more for something that might fall apart. Sunbeam one is over £200.

Steveeasy

ashtead

Visit site
Once the panel arrives how do most people run the cable from let’s say the cochroof deck through the deck ? I had thought of having a panel forward of the windscreen/sprayhood one day?

steveeasy

Visit site
Glad you asked the question. Got me thinking and having looked at my design of boat I’ve no room for one on the coachroof. Well I’d like to keep it clear. So much to my dislike I’ll get a solid one and fit it on the pushpit. It will be small enough to not look too hideous and I’ll be able to run the wires easily in to the cabin. If need be I’ll be able to tilt it so it’s out the way when need be.
Steveeasy

ashtead

Visit site
Yes far easier with rail mounted ones on each side of the pushpin and they can be designed to tilt into sun . Only risk with this set up is someone coming alongside and clouting them either by unwelcome anchor drift say when spending a quit night at anchor or because of rafters with one pathetic plastic fender out etc . I think rail mounted though avoids footfall damage - just be wary of those unwelcome borders. Only sane solution is a gantry I suspect or flexible one sitting on top of the cockpit tent/Bimini which you rig when away from boat maybe like a German beach towel on a sun lounger left when you are not in sight.