4108 blue smoke

lynallbel

Visit site
Blue smoke on start up, normally worn valve guides or worn/missing valve guide seals.
Blue smoke when running, normally means it's had it!

Some nice thick cheap 20/50 might work well in such an old girl, avoid anything thin or with the word synthetic in the title.

oldharry

Visit site
Been looking it up: Amazons reviewers seem to think it does work as a stop gap. But what it does is to thicken the oil - an old used car salesman's trick worthy of Dell Boy. But engines tend not to like thicker oil, particularly if the oil pump is worn, so its not necessarily a good idea long term! But at £60 a bucket for No Smoke, would it not simply be cheaper to buy ordinary thicker oil. From what I read it will do the same thing for half the price!

I also read that Wynns do an additive which works better, costs less, and is generally the recommended go-to.

gordmac

Visit site
If you are going down the different oil route I have found Millers to be very helpful. And good products. My previous boat had Ford D6 engines, they seemed to use and lose less oil when I switched to Millers. Still a smokescreen on cold starting though.

kashurst

Visit site

It's not my boat, I'm posting for a friend who's not on here. I think they are the original engines from around 1978?
[/QUOTE]
If the engines are Ford based from that era they smoke a LOT when cold. Take it for a long run at a reasonable speed, then see what the exhaust looks like.

penfold

Visit site
Maybe start a new thread rather than tacking unrelated questions on the end of an old one? Much better chance of getting an answer that way.

Tranona

Visit site
how much to recon a bmc 1500 diesel ???
Agree not related to this thread. Refer to the link I posted on your thread on PBO. That firm is the major dealer and reconditioner of those engines which are widely used on the canals.