4 yrs around the world in a conway

xyachtdave

Visit site
Interesting, thanks. In answer to your question I reckon probably less than you'd think.

If the rig and sail inventory was in good order, you'd only really need to add in wind vane self steering with emergency rudder, some extra batteries and means of charging them. Maybe a sat phone or someway of getting weather forecasts.

Every boat I've been on with a shed load of expensive electronics, forward facing sonar, radar, multiple massive plotters etc...nobody on board ever seems to be able to get it to work, or they rely on it to the point nobody is on deck. The water maker/air con/freezer/generator usually have issues too.

I'm sure we can all write a long list of 'nice to have' items but the essential list is much shorter.

DownWest

Visit site
Interesting, thanks. In answer to your question I reckon probably less than you'd think.

If the rig and sail inventory was in good order, you'd only really need to add in wind vane self steering with emergency rudder, some extra batteries and means of charging them. Maybe a sat phone or someway of getting weather forecasts.

Every boat I've been on with a shed load of expensive electronics, forward facing sonar, radar, multiple massive plotters etc...nobody on board ever seems to be able to get it to work, or they rely on it to the point nobody is on deck. The water maker/air con/freezer/generator usually have issues too.

I'm sure we can all write a long list of 'nice to have' items but the essential list is much shorter.
Many sailors have done big trips without the 'essentials' that keep you in port waiting for spares. Just depends on the comfort level that you 'think' you need..

Stemar

Visit site
You really don't need an expensive, complicated (big) boat to sail round the world.
You really don't.
Plenty have done it with what they have got/could afford.
It's all too complicated nowadays
But Hey,
That's progress!
Indeed. All the same, I think I'm a bit too long in the tooth to do it in a 19 footer

https://www.bluemoment.com/pdf/shrimpy.pdf

Baggy

Visit site
Those old Westerly's are Fine boats

and what a lovely couple to live the dream on a tight budget

Well done to them