4.3 merruiser coil

Ian MacAulay

Visit site
Help Please

My engine kept stalling at low Rpm and found it to be a rubbish dist cap.... so i ordered a new coil pack dist cap and roata arm plus ht leads...

my old coil has use with external reistor and new has 0.7ohm internal. ... also the new one and ht leads keep popping off?

thanks

Ian

rafiki_

Visit site
Help Please

My engine kept stalling at low Rpm and found it to be a rubbish dist cap.... so i ordered a new coil pack dist cap and roata arm plus ht leads...

my old coil has use with external reistor and new has 0.7ohm internal. ... also the new one and ht leads keep popping off?

thanks

Ian
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking. Could you rephrase your request please?

Ian MacAulay

Visit site
Sorry. That was one very badly worded drunken post!

I've purchased a new coil for my 4.3 mercruiser. I've taken off the old one that has "use with external resistor" stamped on it but no sign of one. The new one I received for my model has "0.7ohm internal resistor" on it.

Secondly the new HT lead pops off the new coil and won't stay on.

Am I missing something and what coil should I be using?

Thanks

Ian

rafiki_

Visit site
OK, much clearer thanks.

Mercuryman (Tom Parker) is our resident expert. Try a pm to him. If you hear nothing back, google Tompa Marine, and his tel number should be on there.

Croftie

Visit site
If the HT lead won't stay on it seems it could well be wrong coil or the new leads you purchased aren't correct.

Not familiar with the 4.3 merruiser but going by automobile coils, pre electronic ignition some cars used a balast type coil. The balast resistor was either a small resistor attatched to the coil LT or some used a resistor cable in the supply to the coil. The idea was that in normal running the battery voltage was dropped via the resistor to match the coils requirements. On starting the engine the feed was directly to the coil (bypassing the resistor) so the coil was "over voltaged" giving a better coil output/spark.