3rd season, 21 ft boat, informal club

G

This will be my 3rd season with a 21ft, 260 hp boat. Last year only spent 6 hours in water. Still need to build my confidence and would like informal club to enjoy cruising in company and learn more with security in numbers. Boat kept at Hayling Island. Any Ideas??

G

I'm in my 4th season of boating and I'm based at Hayling Island. My first 2 seasons I had a 1987 Searay 19ft bowrider and learn't a lot by going aground all over the place, bu the boat was quite tatty so it didn't matter so much. After the end of the second season the furthest we went was Cowes. I didn't like to go too far because the engine broke down quite a lot. Then we bought a new Searay 215, and in order to get confidence, did the RYA ICC. With much more knowledge and confidence we made Yarmouth IOW, and did 100 hours last year. We've now traded up to a new Searay 240 Sundancer arriving in a couple of weeks and hope to go a lot further. I would recommend a course to build confidence, but it's also comforting to have a reliable boat. I am looking at the pathfinder club as would also like to cruise in company but don't trail our boat so not sure if it is suitable. Are you based at Sparkes or Northney? Maybe a notice on the notice boards would be a good idea for informal adhoc cruises.

Tim

G

Buy a bigger boat and get even more frittend like the rest of us. Then get a divorce cos you cant convince wife that your as scaird as her. Then go bancrupt prooving it.

When you've done all that join a club.

Like alcoholics annonimous or the Samaritons

Then the fun realy starts !!

G

Tim, The Pathfinder Club is not just for trailable boats. There are 6 of us who have our boats afloat in and around the Solent. As the club has grown so members have also moved up in boat size so don't be put off by thinking its only for those who trail, its not! We have members who have boats up to 30 foot and several in the 27 foot range. Check out the web site and have a look at the programme for 2001. This includes a planned X Channel as well as runs down to the West Country - you would be welcome to join in on event as a guest. Why not come on the Weymouth run, I'm co-ordinating that. Its planned for 6/7 July.

Come back to me.

David

G

David, David,

Many thanks, I will go to the website and have a look.

It sounds like a great idea because currently I would be a bit nervous crossing the Channel (I did't even know if I have the range.

Weymouth certainly sound like a good starter for leaving home waters. I will be in touch when the new boat arrives scheduled mid May (apparantly currently mid Atlantic on a cargo ship)

G

My three cents worth: the Pathfinder club were up my creek (Medina) a couple of weeks ago, ( I might even have a photo someplace) and a fine group they looked too, even in the p*ssing rain. Friendly chaps, every man jack.

If you need more training the course for you might well be the RYA Powerboat series (level III) which, ( have you done it?) you could complete in two days or so. The top level includes a night sailing exersize which is terrific experience if you've not done it before. The RYA will give you details if you want them, and you can either use your own boat, or one from the school you choose.

If you've already got an ICC then a club might be great, the jaunt to Weymouth sounds neat. Very nice to have a second boat around for comfort!

Best

Sue

G

You say the kindest things, even though I was not on the Medina run, that was our shakedown weekend. Over Easter I presume? So far 9 boats are heading to Weymouth.

G

Aha! You have me, Sir. I was loitering aboard the flagship of MBM, drinking free coffee and so on, with the notion of a photoshoot the following day. It got rained off but the Pathfinders had a sterling turn-out at the Folly. Splendid chaps, one and all.

Best

Sue