304 stainless steel ?

DAKA

Visit site
I am looking for some fixings and the only ones I can find are 304 stainless.
They are for out of the water rail fittings .
strength isnt an issue but Will they rust and look a mess ?

Im trying to attach polycarbonate on the outside of a 25mm grab rail (P brackets , saddles and L brackets) my other option is to use white plastic .

http://www.vortexantennas.co.uk/shop/stainless-steel-element-p-clamp-for-25mm-tubes/

http://www.irrigationuk.com/PVC-Dra...ainless-steel-saddle-0360966-/prod_25356.html

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.........Im stuck !

ccscott49

Visit site
If the fittings you are trying to bolt to are 316 stainless, then they will discolour and probably rust, but not too badly. If the fittings are 304, then no worries, but they will still need cleaning. If strength is of no issue, use plastic.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
I am looking for some fixings and the only ones I can find are 304 stainless.
They are for out of the water rail fittings .
strength isnt an issue but Will they rust and look a mess ?

Im trying to attach polycarbonate on the outside of a 25mm grab rail (P brackets , saddles and L brackets) my other option is to use white plastic .

http://www.vortexantennas.co.uk/shop/stainless-steel-element-p-clamp-for-25mm-tubes/

http://www.irrigationuk.com/PVC-Dra...ainless-steel-saddle-0360966-/prod_25356.html

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.........Im stuck !

I've used some Pete and they do sometimes discolour a little quicker than 316 would, but not really been a problem.

jfm

Visit site
I've had the same problem Pete, in that sometimes fasteners are only availalbe in 304, not 316, in some unusual sizes. I've used 304 and never found it a problem. If you clean your s/s regularly anyway you never see any rust whether 304 or 316. So go ahead and use 304 I say

Pete, Pete, Pete, you can't use the item in the "irrigation" link on a boat. It's horrible! Why not just get tabs welded to your s/s tube, and bolt the polycarb/perpsex sheet to those tabs?

BTW, polycarbonate scratches much more easily than acrylic/perspex

Last edited:

CMJ

Visit site
I'd always go for 316 (but good point about not mixing the types) - It's also know as 'A4' and you'll usually see that marked on the fastener. 'A2' means 304. Most fastener suppliers will do both A2 and A4 variants.

jfm

Visit site
I'd always go for 316 (but good point about not mixing the types) - It's also know as 'A4' and you'll usually see that marked on the fastener. 'A2' means 304. Most fastener suppliers will do both A2 and A4 variants.

Sure A4 is preferred. But there are plenty of odd bolt sizes where you just cannot get A4 stocked from any supplier, and have to have A2. Try an M10, 120 long, in bolt form not set screw, with the unthreaded shank 90 long. Or try a UNC threaded bolt, as needed to attach something to a tapped hole on a Caterpillar engine

CMJ

Visit site
Sure A4 is preferred. But there are plenty of odd bolt sizes where you just cannot get A4 stocked from any supplier, and have to have A2. Try an M10, 120 long, in bolt form not set screw, with the unthreaded shank 90 long. Or try a UNC threaded bolt, as needed to attach something to a tapped hole on a Caterpillar engine

Fair point :)

DAKA

Visit site
Pete, Pete, Pete, you can't use the item in the "irrigation" link on a boat. It's horrible! Why not just get tabs welded to your s/s tube, and bolt the polycarb/perpsex sheet to those tabs?

Thanks for the heads up, agreed they are a mess, I got a bit too focussed.

The tabs would be the best idea however if the project looks a mess I want the option to remove it without trace so I really want it temporary fixed.

Thanks to everyone who responded I m going to use white plastic until I can find stainless 316 or have it welded to upgrade assuming it looks alright.