30/40 amp 3 output mains battery charger options

V1701

Visit site
Evening all,

My old Sterling charger has gone kaput (uneconomical to try to repair, have checked as far as the unit's internal fuse which is intact, spoken to Sterling & a couple of other marine electronics folk, both of whom recommended Victron). Looking at options the latest Sterling is around £350, Victron have a 30A, 3 output one for £175 so I'm inclined to go for that, anyone aware of any other alternatives? It's also occurred to me that I could just have a charger for the house bank (boat is lived on full time) and let the engine and/or my spare smaller charger keep on top of the start and windlass/thruster banks so any thoughts on that welcome...

Cheers,
David.

V1701

Visit site
Go for the 3 output Victron, with the Bluetooth option.

Thanks Paul, I know this is your area so a supplementary question if I may - that one says suitable for up to 300ah and I think is the biggest output in the range, I have 270AH house, 200AH engine start & 100AH thruster/windlass. Theoretically it should rarely need to provide much more than float to the engine and thruster/windlass banks but is it beefy enough for the job?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks Paul, I know this is your area so a supplementary question if I may - that one says suitable for up to 300ah and I think is the biggest output in the range, I have 270AH house, 200AH engine start & 100AH thruster/windlass. Theoretically it should rarely need to provide much more than float to the engine and thruster/windlass banks but is it beefy enough for the job?
Because, as you say, the engine and thruster batteries require little charging it will be OK. Many of the bigger Victron chargers typically only have something like a 4a trickle charger for the engine batteries with the bulk of the charging going to the domestic bank.