2t outboard

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Where is the nearest place I could buy a new to tohatsu 2 stroke outboard. Are there any new ones left in shops in the EU or does one have to go further afield these days

Tranona

Visit site
Mainbrayce in Alderney

Have heard that they only sell such things to residents. Although it is legal to buy one there, it is illegal to import it into the UK or Eire (or indeed anywhere in the EU) for leisure use.

prv

Visit site
Have heard that they only sell such things to residents.

I've heard this too, but I'm wary of propagating hearsay. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually bought from them, or at least asked the score, within the last year or two.

Pete

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
What you really need is a Torqeedo..... you could extend the range with an on-board genny:)

:)

Or, beef up your sail area man !

I believe designers rule of thumb is 1hp for every 50 sq ft of sail in a F4 wind.

Also, you get up in the middle of the night and catch that favorable tide that must be worth at least 2 hp. I
found it wise not to wake the wife up though. :eek:

prv

Visit site
IIRC 2 stroke outboards can still be purchased in EC for racing and commercial boats which don't come under rcd.

True as far as I know. Are there many dealers with stock though?

A mate of mine has a boat (with very tired old outboard) which was purchased for recreational purposes but would be physically very suitable as a workboat for certain jobs. He occasionally undertakes that kind of work, and the suggestion has been made that next time he does so, he incorporates his own boat into the job (usually some sort of craft is hired locally) and obtains a new 2-stroke on "commercial" grounds.

The only problem now is the price of a new 50hp :). That and getting it with pull-start and tiller, which is what this boat needs.

Pete

GrahamM376

Visit site
True as far as I know. Are there many dealers with stock though?

The Tohatsu 9.8 2/ was available when I enquired about getting one for my work boat (which also happens to be my tender) a couple of years ago and the dealer wanted copies of trade invoices and letterhead for submitting to the importer/distributor which wasn't a problem but then I found a good used motor so didn't follow it through.

prv

Visit site
The Tohatsu 9.8 2/ was available when I enquired about getting one for my work boat (which also happens to be my tender) a couple of years ago and the dealer wanted copies of trade invoices and letterhead for submitting to the importer/distributor which wasn't a problem but then I found a good used motor so didn't follow it through.

Ta. The paperwork wouldn't be a problem, the first use of the engine would be genuinely commercial. Did the dealer need to order it from his importer, or was it in stock and he just needed to send the paperwork up the chain to justify the sale?

Pete

GrahamM376

Visit site
Ta. The paperwork wouldn't be a problem, the first use of the engine would be genuinely commercial. Did the dealer need to order it from his importer, or was it in stock and he just needed to send the paperwork up the chain to justify the sale?

Pete

I spoke to Tohatsu UK and they said it would have to be ordered through a dealer but I was told at that time there was one in stock. They were brilliant, I had bought a long shaft and Tohatsu found a short leg, gear rod etc. in the skip and supplied via ski-marine at very good price. Full range of 2/ here http://www.ski-marine.co.uk/tohatsu.html

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I spoke to Tohatsu UK and they said it would have to be ordered through a dealer but I was told at that time there was one in stock. They were brilliant, I had bought a long shaft and Tohatsu found a short leg, gear rod etc. in the skip and supplied via ski-marine at very good price. Full range of 2/ here http://www.ski-marine.co.uk/tohatsu.html

So 2stroke 3.5hp available?

Topcat47

Visit site
The Channel Islands are not part of "Europe". Hence the advice to try Mainbrayce in Alderney. I bought my Tohatsu in the UK after the EU ban, but it was "new old stock". The supplier had a shedload of them. No longer though!. I had some work done on mine last year following a bit of "harsh hands-on tomfoolery" on my part and was offered £300 for it by the agent so good second hand ones attract something of a premium.