2nd Hand boat from Holland

MUS

www.limboyachts.com
Been looking at a 26ft, 2 1/2 ton long keel yacht in Holland with the intention of shipping it back to Cornwall. Has anyone had any experience of this? Whether buying in Holland or transporting back to Britain?

I've got no idea how much the shipping might cost either by road or sea and whether this is a realistic proposition, financially or otherwise.

I've tried searching this site but not come up with much yet.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.msn.com/Limboyachts>http://groups.msn.com/Limboyachts</A>

quaelgeist2

Visit site
Bought our current boat in Holland. Easy - many issues explained here over the years ;-) just have a look (Netherlands, buying, aborad...). Or send pm

Sailed our previous 25ft boat (Feeling 720) from Ramsgate to Scheveningen (and back) as well as to Dieppe and back. Needs some planning for bad weather, else no issue. Shorthanded I prefer daytrips, can be done in one go, too.

What do you want to know ?

chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
bought ours there privately & transported back by road.

Your sized boat gives more options for road transport incl crane-lorries....check the magazines + also some cheap companies in Holland which I found via the internet & the back of Boten magazine.

Think we paid £2K'ish for 38' & 12Tonnes but too big for the budget boys & crane-trucks, so much much less if you shop around, I expect.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mickshep

Visit site
I also bought 2nd hand through a broker in Holland. paid about half what I'd expected to pay over here and everything was great, the broker/vendor could not have been more helpful or efficient if they had tried, (A little different to some brokers over here). Sailed her back to Bridlington direct then up to Hartlepool. Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>My Mum say's I'm not a fat b@st@rd, just heavy boned.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I also bought in Holland after advice from R to R(Thanks to Mickshep).I found the broker easy & straightforward to deal with & we used a British contract.Good value boats in Holland.Sailed back to the east coast.As suggested do a search on R to R.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MUS

www.limboyachts.com
Thanks everyone. You've all re-assured me that buying a yacht in Holland and shipping it back is a viable option. The yachts I've been looking at (on the web) are about £2k cheaper, so as long as I can to get it to Cornwall for less than that it's worth doing.

Still not sure of the cheapest way to get it there though. Unfortunately I have to work for a living so I'm never going to have the time to sail it back myself.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.msn.com/Limboyachts>http://groups.msn.com/Limboyachts</A>

Birdseye

Visit site
One person reckons they are 25% cheaper, one says half (!) and another says £2k. But when I look at http://www.botenbank.nl/ I can see no major difference. For example an HR36 at 153 compares with two similar UK boats , one older at 149 and one younger at 167.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Serious question since I am in the market for a new boat and if I can save some serious money buying abroad I'm happy to do so. But I've yet to find anywhere where the saving is worth the aggro and inherent risk.

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Apologies if I'm pointing out the bleeding obvious - but you do know that the Dutch website's in €uros, don't you?

We found Yanita a couple of years ago through that website. Paid £50,000 for her - at the time Etap 38s of a similar age were offered for sale in the UK for about £65,000

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

mickshep

Visit site
I paid £10k for a beautiful 32' round bilge steel sloop designed by Van de Stadt and built by a top Dutch yard, with brand new Vetus M3.10 diesel, New Taylors diesel heater and 030 Cooker. all rewired and with recent good quality electronics. Cosmetically she looked a bit scabby, One holiday of 10 days plus 4 or 5 weekends over there saw her looking like new and ready to sail home, Budget airlines made it cheaper to fly to Holland than to get the bus to London. Would definately look abroad when looking for next boat. Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>My Mum say's I'm not a fat b@st@rd, just heavy boned.