$200 2 Stroke Outboard

greeny

Visit site
And as a backup engine whats not to like. Small enough to store on the rib. Light. Cheap. Who cares if it's noisy in an emergency.
Any engine would sound good to me if the main one's failed.

TernVI

Visit site
And as a backup engine whats not to like. Small enough to store on the rib. Light. Cheap. Who cares if it's noisy in an emergency.
Any engine would sound good to me if the main one's failed.
But like chainsaws and strimmers, it will be unreliable if not used regularly?
Maybe not too bad if kept empty of fuel, which I do with my strimmer/polesaw toy.

I used to own a small RIB. To make progress with my 2HP engine involved sitting right at the port bow to get the transom out of the water. It was just about viable in flat sea while checking out the 50HP engine.

greeny

Visit site
I've got a 3.5 tohatsu 2 stroke but no room on the transom to install it. Tried fitting an extension outboard bracket but I would need 2 bolted end to end. This little baby would fit in the available gap I'm sure. Got to be better than a paddle I'm thinking.

Another One

Visit site
Maybe not too bad if kept empty of fuel, which I do with my strimmer/polesaw toy.

I used to own a small RIB. To make progress with my 2HP engine involved sitting right at the port bow to get the transom out of the water. It was just about viable in flat sea while checking out the 50HP engine.

I only burn alkylate petrol in my hedge trimmer as it is used infrequently and it always starts first or second pull.

TernVI

Visit site
I've got a 3.5 tohatsu 2 stroke but no room on the transom to install it. Tried fitting an extension outboard bracket but I would need 2 bolted end to end. This little baby would fit in the available gap I'm sure. Got to be better than a paddle I'm thinking.
Remember it will only get near its rated HP if the prop is right to enable it to rev to max power.
These little strimmer type engines often have diddly-squat torque at low RPM, so pushing a RIB or similar with an immersed transom it might be quite hopeless.

You might actually do better with a battery trolling motor.
Or a long shaft Seagull...

Depends what you think you need of course.
A bit of steerage while the tide takes you home is much easier than making a credible speed or stemming the tide.

greeny

Visit site
Having had a closer look and estimate of size of the engine it actually looks shorter but wider than the Tohatsu 3.5 so its unlikely its going to fit anyway.
Battery outboard was the original idea I was working on and may well be the only solution except for an old seagull as you say. Not many seagull outboards out here in Portugal though. Or maybe a long tail boat motor would do the trick. :):) Could even make it electric.

Last edited:

TernVI

Visit site
If you're seriously out of reach of assistance, then you want twin engines.
Or a mast and sails maybe?

A SUP paddle for each person on board is much better than nothing, it will probably get you an offer of a tow anyway!

Another One

Visit site
I've never heard of that before. Where do you buy it from?
I get it from the garden mower shop where my mower is serviced. Look for Aspen 4 and Aspen 2. The 4 stroke petrol goes in my mower and the 2 stroke in hedge trimmer and chainsaw. It's very expensive; about £5 a litre but then you wouldn't use much in a mower or an outboard and servicing costs are much lower.

greeny

Visit site
If you're seriously out of reach of assistance, then you want twin engines.
Or a mast and sails maybe?

A SUP paddle for each person on board is much better than nothing, it will probably get you an offer of a tow anyway!

Agreed but we're never out of range of the emergency services in the Rib but I just like to be self sufficient and not rely on others except in emergency.
Over here in Portugal if you call the services out for a breakdown your boat is immediately out of use and impounded until repairs are carried out by a professional company along with a report and then an inspection is completed by the authorities. This doesn't come cheap and you can wait a week or more to get the inspection done at their convenience. In Portugal, Officialdom = Time + Money. ☹☹☹

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Agreed but we're never out of range of the emergency services in the Rib but I just like to be self sufficient and not rely on others except in emergency.
Over here in Portugal if you call the services out for a breakdown your boat is immediately out of use and impounded until repairs are carried out by a professional company along with a report and then an inspection is completed by the authorities. This doesn't come cheap and you can wait a week or more to get the inspection done at their convenience. In Portugal, Officialdom = Time + Money. ☹☹☹

Wow !
I never knew that ...................
Feel a bit better about UK sailing now. :)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Over here in Portugal if you call the services out for a breakdown your boat is immediately out of use and impounded until repairs are carried out by a professional company along with a report and then an inspection is completed by the authorities.

We were impounded when bow nav light knocked off by passing ferry. Boat not allowed to move off mooring (even in daylight) until I fixed it and maritime authority had carried out survey, IIRC survey fee was only €23.
Just running aground can be cause for impounding and out of water survey if spotted by PM, much depends on what mood they're in.

Anyway, here's another fun outboard, using lawn mower engine. (182) How to Make a Homemade Boat Motor for Under $90. - YouTube

burgundyben

Visit site
Why the juddering f*** did he pour half a pint of two stroke oil down the plug hole?

And why did he mount the engine with the pull cord facing aft?

Alfie168

Visit site

My two stroke strimmer/ hedgetrimmer has lain unused for two years. I did a couple of squeezes of the primer bulb the other week and it started third pull of the cable and has given no trouble. It's one of those Titan jobbies from Screwfix. I confess I was amazed as I had anticipated having all sorts of bother getting it back to life.

xcw

Visit site
My two stroke strimmer/ hedgetrimmer has lain unused for two years. I did a couple of squeezes of the primer bulb the other week and it started third pull of the cable and has given no trouble. It's one of those Titan jobbies from Screwfix. I confess I was amazed as I had anticipated having all sorts of bother getting it back to life.
I did the same with my Titan strimmer yesterday, started after 2 pulls. Not been used for well over a year and it was the same petrol! I must admit I was a little surprised too!

Rum Run

Visit site
Having had a closer look and estimate of size of the engine it actually looks shorter but wider than the Tohatsu 3.5 so its unlikely its going to fit anyway.
Battery outboard was the original idea I was working on and may well be the only solution except for an old seagull as you say. Not many seagull outboards out here in Portugal though. Or maybe a long tail boat motor would do the trick. :):) Could even make it electric.
There is a Century long shaft Seagull in the fishing museum by the market in Porto. One if the first bits of modern tech the local fishermen had in the 1960s. The serial number is quite visible in the display which dated it as 1968 iirc.
I was very amused to see it in a museum as my Featherweight is a bit older and still does dependable service on the tender