2 stroke / 4 stroke 8 hp Outboard

G

I am looking for an outboard engine to suit my Etap 21i yacht (My current outboard is a Honda 5hp 4stroke which has a manual start and I find it a little noisy, unrefined and underpowered for use on the Forth estuary) . I am looking for an engine with about 8hp that has an electric start, user friendly controls and is reliable. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am also looking for advive on 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Which is best and why?
Thanks.

oldharry

Visit site
For the last 2 seasons i used a Honda 8 on my6m Matilda trailer sailer. Heavy, noisier than I would have expected, although noise is not a problem with this engine, and with plenty of thrust, and returning about 1hr 15 mins per gallon on average. Having now changed boats to a changed to a displacement 20 footer I now run a Yam 9.9. Quieter, thrust - difficult to tell because the new boat weighs much more - but 3/4 throttle gives full hull speed , and anything more just makes bigger waves. Economy not so good at just over a gallon an hour.

My (limited) experience of smaller engines is that they do tend to be noisier, whether 2 or 4 stroke! So an upsize will almost certainly give you more enjoyable motoring.

duncan

Visit site
If you require refinement then look no further than the direct injected outboards from Mercury.
Last word in refinement.
Although what refinement has to do with boating on the Forth beats me............

rex_seadog

Visit site
A couple of years ago on our Hunter Delta we swapped a Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke (electric start) for a new Mariner 8 2-stroke Sailmate. The main reason was that the Yamaha was too big for the well located in the port-side cockpit locker and therefore had to be operated without its cover if we wanted to close the locker lid. Operated like this the salt water environment played havoc with its carb and electrics. When running correctly, after its (expensive) annual service, it was a beautiful engine - quiet, economical and power in abundance. We have generally been pleased with the Mariner although we miss the extra 2 hp and the fuel consumption is noticeably higher. This is mainly a problem on, for example, an 80 mile channel crossing when we like to carry about 50 litres in case of lack of wind. However its much lighter weight is appreciated (both from the point of view of boat trim and also general mauling) and I also prefer the manual start. It always starts easily and with the limited charging of a small engine its nice to know that you don't have to rely on your battery.
On the Sailmate the prop moves backwards on a splined shaft when put in reverse in order to to redirect the exhaust gases forward and so improve reverse thrust. We have had problems with the prop gradually moving backwards on its rubber bushing. Although Mariner claim not to have seen this problem before, they have replaced the prop twice under warranty and we are now evaluating a standard non-sliding prop. Has any else experienced this problem?

andyball

Visit site
I don't know anything about sail boat aux's, but my 8hp Yamaha four stroke is marvellous.......very quiet, very economical,and with the high thrust prop. would presumably make a great auxiliary? (these props improve reverse thrust greatly)

It's only on a 16', but I can't use a gallon an hour even at full throttle......Yam' do an e'start high thrust version, with a lower f/drive gear and the special prop already fitted, I believe.