1st boat

vvv

Visit site
You have all probably seen this type of question so many times before but I must still ask it

We are edging toward our first yacht. Budget Circa £15,000. We want something that will expand as we do it must be stiff and confidence building. We think preferrably a fin/ long keel but sailing on the relatively shallow east coast could bring its own problems. I have tidal day skipper earnt in gale force 8 winds one week off suffolk but my saiing is about as regular as lottery wins. Our ultimate goal is to live aboard but realise that the two demands would compromise the same boat. We recently admired a Varne but felt it little cramped albiet a solid workmanlike deck. We did not like an Elan as it seemed a bit flimsy ( sorry Elan owners) We would welcome any sensible input

Thank you

Col

Visit site
Post this on scuttlebutt, bound to get loads of ideas there.
I cant help, motor boats only,
good luck.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
What about an Albin Vega?

You'll get one in top class condition for £12,000, leaving you £3,000 for extras and things you hadn't thought about.

Long keel but only 3'10" draft, pocket blue water cruiser. Cramped for liveaboard, but possible for two people - although I would prefer to do it in a warmer climate . . .

dah

Visit site
Have you considered a Centaur as your first boat, albeit as your first few years will be quite a steep learning curve. They are roomy, solid aand very forgiving in a blow ( I should know I have one). They also hold their price very well so when you think it is time to move up you probably will not have too much difficulty selling. They also are ideally suited to shoal water sailing only drawing 3 feet and with twin keels to take the ground.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
My boat was on at £15,000 - got them down to £12,750.

Your requirements are probably different but feel free to check out the web site to see what I got for the money, what I've done with her and where I've taken her.

Wouldn't dream of living on-board though - where would the 32" wide screen telly go?

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

G

with your relative lack of experience, it is likely that you will not hit the bullseye first time. sad, but realistic. therefore, buy a boat which will be easy to re-sell. no home made, no odd makes. solid middle of road like westerley, moody, sadler, prout.

dont worry too much about questions like bilge v fin or keel shape. do try to buy with an inboard diesel, however.
good condition, plenty of extras since the cost of re - equipping is high.

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
Hi - Check out the Albin vega 27. A fantastic boat long keel, robust, go anywhere, fantastic owners association (www.albinvega.com) - See PBO Waiting for the tide (Feb 2002 issue). Over twenty have circumnavigated the world and well within your budget - Price between £9K - £14K. I am biased as I am the Technical Officer of the Vega Club but believe me I have tried a lot of different boats and have not found one to live up to the Vega.....

Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

claymore

Visit site
Try for something at 25ft.
Consider bilge keels with your sailing area, or a lifting keel.
Aim at keeping to no more than £10,000. It isn't the buying, its the running that costs and cost much more than you could ever think possible.
Centaur has been mentioned so has Albin Vega - look at Sadler 25, Hunter Delta 25, Pageant (23ft). Macwester Rowan Crown for starters. Don't need to go older than 1975.
Staying with 25ft will keep costs down, handling is Ok at this length relative to your experience and they have enough room for up to 4 adults.
Hope this helps
John S

lezgar

Visit site
I bought my first own boat three years ago and I bought a 1989 boat. Think in the running cost and older and bigger = more expensive. I sail in the East Coast and my Virgo Voyager is bilge keel. Like others say look for a bilge or lifting keel and inboard diesel engine and standind headroom.

oldharry

Visit site
Unless you are planning to do it immediately, I would forget about the 'liveaboard' aspect of your first boat. Whatever you buy now will not be 'right' for you in the longer term.

There are so many variables that make a boat 'right' for its owner, and it is a highly complex blend of individual preferences. I beleive boat buying to be even more difficult than buying a house - though many of the basic criteria are the same about what makes a place acceptable.

At this stage you need something solid, comfortable, and forgiving to live with. After a couple of seasons use you will have a very much better idea of what your 'ideal' boat is, from every point of view, and will certainly find your views have modified, or maybe even changed quite radically. By then you will know whether you want long, fin or bilge keels, and you will know how much space you actually need to be able to survive living aboard.

I would endorse any of the suggestions that have been made so far - choose whichever one 'looks right' to you and your wife. And listen to what she says too - its an old joke that wives reject a potential boat purchase because the 'mirror is in the wrong place'. This actually means she doesnt feel easy with the boat you are looking at, and while she may not be able to quantify whats wrong - she may never really want to come sailing in it with you.

I listen very carefully to what Mrs O'H says in these situations - and I find she is very often right - something has given her a bad 'feel' for the boat we are looking at. If I ignore that - a) the boat turns out to have some basic design or structural flaw that i have missed, and b) she somehow never seems to have time to come sailing with me: aunt Edna's coming, really do need to get this job finished, weather forecasts not right.... etc etc.

Shane Acton found his 19 foot 'Shrimpy' quite adequate for his needs long distance, but I know that if my wife and I were to follow his course, we would need something around the size of a Thames barge!!!!

(And before any jokers make comments about my wifes size, I am referring to the amount of junk she regards as 'essential' - you know the sort of thing, a weekend away, and its 4 suitcases and a holdall.... )

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Choosing the first boat's always difficult. For the East coast you want something with shallow draft , though for your budget you won't get the space for liveaboard. If you want something to inspire confidence then try the bilge keel version of the Sadler 25. They're stiff and forgiving and will have enough accommodation for overnight stays , holidays etc. Alternatives include the Westerly Centaur , forgiving but slower , Tomohawk , less space but nice performer and Super Seal , shoal draft but more fiddly to get the best out of her.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
East Coast favourites

Thereare a few E Coast favourites that haven't cropped up yet - consider Mirage and Cobra - both (I think) came in 26' and 28' flavours. Hunter (British, not US) has built some v. successful bilgekeelers, plus the Impala. Smaller UFOs are around in your price bracket, plus assorted Elizabethans, Hustler and Rustler 31 which might just come in. Then there are plently of solid little numbers like Snapdragons and Hurleys. Some of the smaller Colvic models might also suit. Don't neglect slightly older boats which, if in good nick, would satisfy almost anybody - Holman's Stella and Stirling, for example, or assorted Van der Stadt designs.

You going to have fun looking!