1895 Fifie in Danger of Being Broken Up

Romeo

Visit site
While the blurb on the e bay listing "the last fifie in private hands" is patently untrue, there are not many of these vessels left which once filled every harbour on the East Coast of Scotland (and that is a lot of harbours). It would be great if someone with imagination, determination and cash would at least go and have a look at her.

img.php

National Historic Ships Register entry here: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2056/glad-tidings

E bay listing here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-F...id=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=291628563226

bedouin

Visit site
What a lovely vessel.

Worrying that they have had a couple of bids - not sure the bidders will have much idea of what they are taking on.

Realistically the cost of restoring her must be many times the market value once complete - but I would love to have the time to have a go

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well yes, but the two offers so far are 50p and 55p, so not sure that they are that serious.

Humm very interesting comment in the Ebay write up?
She has had a couple of holes drilled in her to stop her sinking when filling up with water?
Perhaps I misread it in my haste to get on with other jobs, so will return later on the re read up.
Very interesting vessel

bedouin

Visit site
Humm very interesting comment in the Ebay write up?
She has had a couple of holes drilled in her to stop her sinking when filling up with water?
Perhaps I misread it in my haste to get on with other jobs, so will return later on the re read up.
Very interesting vessel
I took that to mean that she is regularly filling with water anyway so they drilled holes to let it drain out rather than straining the planking.

Romeo

Visit site
Scottish Fisheries Museum? I'll put £100 towards the cost of getting her there.

I am pretty sure the Fisheries Museum will not want another big Fifie. They have their hands full keeping the (much bigger) Reaper going:

Reaper_KWM3859-26610.jpg

They might be tempted by a Zulu, but I doubt it.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I took that to mean that she is regularly filling with water anyway so they drilled holes to let it drain out rather than straining the planking.

Humm, is that holes drilled below the water line then ? if so river water will enter and she will flood, and the engine will ?

If above the water line, then that's a bloody lota water for her to hold in her bilges and lower planks?

Would not a complete tarp cover or even a fairly good tarp cover keep most rain water out of her?

DownWest

Visit site
Humm, is that holes drilled below the water line then ? if so river water will enter and she will flood, and the engine will ?

If above the water line, then that's a bloody lota water for her to hold in her bilges and lower planks?

Would not a complete tarp cover or even a fairly good tarp cover keep most rain water out of her?

She has already sunk, so they are just trying to avoid further damage to the hull.
This was flagged up over on the WBF and a couple of UK posters are tempted

Romeo

Visit site

If you look at the photo in the OP, you will see the muddy tide marks on the bulwarks. You can safely assume that everything below decks will have been saturated by water many times.