12volt fans

rigpigpaul

Visit site
I have just returned from Turkey. It was very hot but I bought some 240volt fans which really hepled when cooking and sleeping.The problem was that I was tied to the quay. Where can I buy good quality 12volt fans. They must be quiet and between 8-12 inches.

<hr width=100% size=1>

smee

Visit site
I bought some 8 inch 12v fans from a caravan/camper assessory shop. Cheaper than a chandlery!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
We had some really silent ones on our last boat by sewing computer fans onto the mesh bug screens that fit into portlights. Also of course nothing beats them on power consumption/volume of air moved.

A 65mm fan of this type is easily as efficient as one of those Hella car/truck fans and far quieter. Get the 93mm version* (but not the 650mA motor) - they do a 190mA unit and it'll blow your head off!

Steve Cronin

*as used on Danfoss fridge compressors

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Thanks everybody for the input. I have just looked in the RS components catalogue #2 and there are lots to choose from. My plan is to buy fans in a square frame and hinge them against the bulkhead or deckhead. After use they can be pushed back out of way.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Steve!
Agree about the computer fans but not your assessment of their capability versus the 'trucker' type oscillating fans. The latter shift considerably more air than the former, though agree that the penalty is a lot more noise.

My boat has been fitted with both, comp fans in the fore cabin and two trucker fans in the saloon, for the last eight years in the Med/Caribbean so have been well tested. I haven't tried those so-called 'silent' types yet, though one of these fitted on a friend's boat, did not impress. I guess it's the old story of not getting something for nothing!

Good sailing!

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
The silent ones I have tried look like four petalled red daisies and plug into a cigar lighter socket. They're better than nothing but the large computer fan is by far my favourite.

My wife and I sleep in sererate cabins as it is just too hot in Greece in the summer to do any other. She uses just one 60mm computer fan which is virtually silent but I use a fan heater on cold running from our inverter. Since the latter only uses 7watts we can cope with the drain.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

mikewilkes

Visit site
Thanks for that I just happen to have a couple of those fans lying around on the boat. Was going to use one for the fridge mobitronics thingy but havent got round to it yet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbains

Visit site
I advise all you guys who think it's too hot to sleep and work in Greece/Turkey
in the summer to move to Croatia. I have!!!!! It's cool at night in August and there
are 1100 islands to visit!
Thanks for the tips re computer fans at night.

<hr width=100% size=1>Never knowingly overcanvassed!