12V Power Packs - which one?

sarabande

Visit site
so, what's the difference between a Power Pack from Maplins (£128, 40 AH, 1 small set jumpleads)

and

a 100Ahr battery - about £60
one set of industrial leads - about £20
a torch - about £3

apart from the packaging ???

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
DIY?

In reply to the OP I have a Draper power pack. Only used it twice in 8/9 years it has started the engine fine, both times the engine and domestic battery had been left on for a few days and were too flat to start the motor. The boost the Power pack gave was enough to start the engine.

Just remember to keep it charged!

pvb

Visit site
Are the 12V power packs any good for emergancy start up of a 16HP marine diesel ?

As long as you keep it charged, yes. Remember that marine diesels are generally much smaller than car engines - your 16HP is probably only about 650cc.

I've been looking around recently at power packs, and this one on eBay at £27 looks half-decent value.

JustMelfort

Visit site
I have one of those - or very similar. I've had it for years. Its only a 14 or 17Ah battery (can't remember) but it starts old 2.5l diesel landrover, boats, cars; powers mobile phone chargers during power cuts and pre-cools my 12v cold box. I've also run echo sounder and autohelm from it and pumped trailer tyres and bike tyres from it. So at 20 odd squid - a very useful bit of kit and easily recharged.

agurney

agurney.com
I've had a cheap version from Lidl for several years. It starts my car (2L diesel) without a problem, and can turn my boat's 1GM10 for several minutes. The bult-in light and compressor come in useful from time to time, and I can use it to power a laptop etc. if I want to save the boat's power. It looks similar to the eBay one.

I used to think they were a joke, but started taking them seriously when I saw half a dozen in the corner of a car showroom.

Alisdair

jakeroyd

Visit site
I only have a single battery system on my boat and have one of the yellow cased Rolec type starter packs available evertwhere for about £35.
It would start my 1GM10 from flat but would not quite start a Rover Metro with a completely flay battery.
It has a 15AH battery inside , this will be biased towards lots of current for a very short time and so will be fairly modest as a standby system.
Mine will run my laptop via a Maplins DC to DC unit for about 3 hours.
Seems to hold it?s charge pretty well.