100 Best Boats

mono

Visit site
Re: \"A Hastily Cobbled Together Mailer-Filler\"....

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but the 21st century version of The Times is nobbut a Murdoch comic and can't speak with authority on anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the 21st century version of forum is already Anglicised and altered by common usage (Google shows 3,720,000 entries for fora and 119,000,000 for forums).

If we want strict Latin accuracy, we'll have to start declining the word - nominative, vocative, accusative, genitive, dative and ablative - with different endings for singular and plural.

Life's too short, no?

mono

Visit site
Re: \"A Hastily Cobbled Together Mailer-Filler\"....

[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, fora is an elegant word, whilst forums is fugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

De gustibus non est disputandum.

ghostwriter

Visit site
c\'mon man, you can\'t but appreciate JJ\'s authority

at least he had the good sense not to include the McGregor, the sailing fraternity is eternally in debt to him just for this one streak of lucidity /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jamesjermain

Visit site
Might I suggest those who have actually read the supplement (included with the June issue of YM) should read my forward to it on page one. This will give you some idea of how the list was constructed and why. It was an entirely personal list and it is quite likely I have missed out designs that are generally regarded as important. I would be astonished if you all agreed with it. I was, however, asked to abide by some guidelines. These were to include some 'personality' boats (Suhaili etc) some greats from the past and some key markers among modern era.

The list has absolutely nothing to do with any poll that may have been conducted either in the mag or on this forum, nor does it reflect a league table of advertising spend.

To be honest I would rather people didn't pay too much attention to the order of boats after the top ten. I didn't, or the Twister would have been higher and the Jaguar 22 lower. But how do you judge between the 33rd and 55th best boat? I don't think it's particularly relevant and, in any case my decision today would be quite different from my decision two months ago.

In reply to you grammatical pedants, 'forums' is now an accepted alternative to 'fora' in almost all literary circles. Criteria was a mistake; sorry.

graham

Visit site
As one who has read it most of my favourites are in there even if in a different order.

It must have been difficult deciding which to leave out.

fora forums for £uck sake who cares?

Visit site
Errrmmmm....

The little dig re "criteria" was intended to be a whimsical T.i.C. James; sorry if it offended!

Steve Cronin

Who was NOT offended in the least that his beloved, the last Bavaria model to have a Lloyds Cert., was omitted -honest! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif