100 Best Boats

Judders

Visit site
Now here's a thread which will run & run.

May I start? Thank you.

Why is it that everyone is telling me to go for an Anderson 22 over a Jag 22, "it'll sail away from them" "it's prettier" "the accomidations better" etc etc etc... and yet the Jag makes the list and the Anderson doesn't? (Or have I missed it?)

beancounter

Visit site
James Jermain is a brave man....

...that article will bring 'em all out from behind the sofa -

"Why is my xxxxxx (insert boat type as appropriate) not in the list/at number 1 - it's the greatest thing since bread came sliced etc., etc...."

"How can the xxxxxx (insert boat type as appropriate) be rated so highly when everyone knows that it sails like a brick outhouse/has all the seakeeping qualities of an inflatable sunbed etc., etc...."

As you say, this one will run & run.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Its a strange list, I thought that it was as a result of a running poll. So any boat that has a strong following, not necessarily a lot of them about would do well.

The reason I say this is that whilst its no surprise to see Velsheda as No 1, and whilst I am pleased to see the ETAP 46ds in there, how the hell can the 46ds have a following yet it only just come out ( not that it is'nt an excellent yacht)?

Judders

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
how the hell can the 46ds have a following yet it only just come out ( not that it is'nt an excellent yacht)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps Etap have a large advertising budget?

G

Re: 100 Best Boats .... old mag ...

I have a 100 Best Boats from about 3 - 4 years ago .... it's the biggest collection of "dealers blurb" cut and pasted I have ever seen.

I don't believe that any one of the boats was written up as a result of test or feed-back.

I assume that the thread refers to a new copy / version for this year of same mag ?

Nearest thing I can think of to this sort of type up - is the average on-line Chandlers page - that cuts and pastes Manufacturers advertising / specs onto item page of their site.

Visit site
\"A Hastily Cobbled Together Mailer-Filler\"....

...some might call it.

They might also put forward glaring errors in support of their criticism. Like "...criteria WAS..." on the very first page. They might say that such a classic gaffe of not knowing that the singular is "criterion" (or maybe lack of effective proof reading can be blamed to give JJ an escape route!) is inexcusable in what purports to be a "flagship" publication ( or heaven forbid - a career milestone!) from one so revered.

But then, THEY'D probably be Bavaria owners,

who didn't get a look in despite being afficionados of one of the most popular marques on the market.

But then that would be biased, wouldn't it?

OTH - maybe JJ didn't compile it at all! But then no.it couldn't have been the marketing dept at Out of Reach Towers, since bavaria must have spent massively last month.

Steve Cronin

Robin

Visit site
Re: \"A Hastily Cobbled Together Mailer-Filler\"....

[ QUOTE ]
who didn't get a look in despite being afficionados of one of the most popular marques on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Jeanneau, not one single one of them made the list either?

I was surprised none of the older Jeanneaus at least were included, like the Melody, Sun Fizz 40 (1000's built), Sun Legende 41 (MINE!), Sunshine 36/38 and many more from the well known designers like Doug Peterson, Tony Castro, Philipe Briand.

Bit of a Politically Correct list IMO.

AlienP2

Visit site
I've just Googled for "100 best boats" and it took me to this filth:

cover.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DaveS

Visit site
I agree with others - a very odd list indeed. I too was puzzled by the inclusion of the 46DS (I'm sure far more Etap 22s have been sold over the years) and the notable omission of some extremely popular makes / types. OTOH the fact that the list contains both production boat types and one-offs makes it difficult to make any sense of. I presume it's supposed to be some sort of UK based poll (since I would expect a quite different list to originate elsewhere) but this, like much else, wasn't made very clear.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
As I recall it was JJ's personal listing, hence a mix of old and new, bound to cause some discussion. I'm looking forward to a rant from Twister owners as it only just made the list at 98, and those with a Contessa 32 fetish - I couldn't agree more with JJ that they are over-rated, especially in the accommodation & headroom departments

Robin

Visit site
Somewhere in the mag there was also a reference to an on-line 'poll' of best boats, the results came up with all the usual suspects like Contessa, Twister, Rustler yet with a strange(?) inclusion of a GK24. Apparently some 500 people replied to the poll.

Am I the only one who didn't even SEE a poll? I rather suspect the results were skewed by a limited and dare I say biased few or surely other more modern or more numerous designs would have been represented?

NigeCh

Visit site
Re: 100 Best Boats??? I prefer Ferenc Mate\'s \'Best Sailboats-A Survey\'

One has to question the authorship and authority of the author or editor or whoever wrote it. One also has to question the prejudices that are oh so apparent.

Mate at least sailed all the boats he surveyed either across oceans or on serious passages.

With respect, I've found this '100 best boats' to be trivial.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps Etap have a large advertising budget?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you have'nt seen the ETAP adverts, which proves that your theory isnt the case, also if advertising was the driver then I think we would have seen several boats from Yachting Monthly's sponsor, Opal! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sans Bateau

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking forward to a rant from Twister owners as it only just made the list at 98

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like it might just be an extravagant Troll!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
whilst I am pleased to see the ETAP 46ds in there, how the hell can the 46ds have a following yet it only just come out ( not that it is'nt an excellent yacht)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's most likely coz the 46DS won some kind of UK Marine Industry award couple of months ago.

Met Jan Speybroeck (Etap Rep) in Ostend 2 weeks - they sold 22 so far. Hoping for lots more now, as the 46DS is being introduced in the States in September.