02 Data Tarbet/Portavardie

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I'm on O2 and I find that in lots of places which technically have 4G coverage it gets very slow when there are lots of people around. I think they put in the minimum bandwidth to allow the marketing people to claim 4G coverage.
Currently in a popular anchorage in Poole Harbour and it is fine on a Monday morning but during the day over the weekend it was useless.

scottie

Visit site
Do the phones not rely on line of sight which unfortunately get disturbed by the local terrain which is a little bit higher than down south

Caraway

Visit site
We have good 4G here (30Mbps on EE, 21 Mbps on Vodaphone) a friend 1.25 KM away has no phone signal, at all. He is in a bit of a dip. Entirely to do with line of sight. He is 700 metres from the A66 which has excellent phone signals.
The infrastructure is supplied by four companies EE, Vodafone, 3 and 02.
Everyone else piggybacks on their systems. And they piggyback on each others. It would be madness to duplicate the coverage that someone else already supplies.

Caraway

Visit site
This is Ofcoms coverage checker.

Screenshot-2021-07-19-09-51-20.png

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Do the phones not rely on line of sight which unfortunately get disturbed by the local terrain which is a little bit higher than down south

Yes they do, I live on the edge of the Peak District they tend to try and put masts up as high as they can as well. Currently up above Portavardie and have some 4g blowing in from somewhere, so probably not my phone which was the reason for the original post on Scuttlebut. I wanted to find whether anyone else sailing in the area was experiencing similar problems.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
02 came back to me via Facebook messenger, and admitted there was no data coverage in Tarbet. I'm a little bit surprised at that given it is a notable large village and popular tourist and boating destination.
It probably only adds up to a thousand or so phones, even with boating and tourism. Also, in that area, dead spots caused by the terrain are difficult to avoid. They can't put masts on hilltops because they need power, and lower down there are all sorts of things that get in the way. I wouldn't be surprised if the best location for a mast serving Tarbert was near Portavadie.

Even on the relatively populated east coast of the Clyde, there are dead spots caused by the topography. Kip marina used to have lousy mobile phone coverage, but it was fine once you got out on the Clyde!

dunedin

Visit site
For boating in Scotland carrying two phones, one on EE network and one on Vodafone, would be my recommendation - and practice (or a foreign phone on free roaming even better).
Phone networks chosen for cheapest city calls may not be ideal.