🎶We’re All Going On A 🎶 Summer Holiday 🎶

johnalison

Visit site
Could be a juvenile Great Northern.
It seems very late for divers. Perhaps they have the same opinion of the weather as the rest of us. My bird book persists in calling them loons, but the juveniles do look very similar, black-necked, red-necked and great. On the whole, in my book great seems the most likely.

Puffin10032

Visit site
It seems very late for divers. Perhaps they have the same opinion of the weather as the rest of us. My bird book persists in calling them loons, but the juveniles do look very similar, black-necked, red-necked and great. On the whole, in my book great seems the most likely.

Loons is very much an American name for them. It is a juvenile Great Northern Diver in "1st winter" plumage ( born last year) so not yet old enough to come into breeding plumage and engage in the mating game. I think to see one on the East Coast in Summer is a very rare and special event indeed.

johnalison

Visit site
Loons is very much an American name for them. It is a juvenile Great Northern Diver in "1st winter" plumage ( born last year) so not yet old enough to come into breeding plumage and engage in the mating game. I think to see one on the East Coast in Summer is a very rare and special event indeed.
I don't really like the term loon but my copy of Collins Bird Guide, which is probably the most comprehensive one for European birds, is probably 20 yrs old and has come down on the side of calling them loons, and I have noticed the same term used on TV. I can't say that I have even seen one, other than a single red-throated diver flying over Walton Creek last autumn. I gather that there is a chap in Frinton who keeps watch from his house and has counted as many as 3,700 red-throated divers passing in one season.

Puffin10032

Visit site
I don't really like the term loon but my copy of Collins Bird Guide, which is probably the most comprehensive one for European birds, is probably 20 yrs old and has come down on the side of calling them loons, and I have noticed the same term used on TV. I can't say that I have even seen one, other than a single red-throated diver flying over Walton Creek last autumn. I gather that there is a chap in Frinton who keeps watch from his house and has counted as many as 3,700 red-throated divers passing in one season.
I suppose book publishers are free to call them whatever they like. The RSPB don't use that term though and I don't know any birders around here who do. One of the reservoirs near to me (Chasewater) regularly gets over-wintering Great Northern Divers. There were three there this last winter. 3,700 is a lot of Red-throated Divers :)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I suppose book publishers are free to call them whatever they like. The RSPB don't use that term though and I don't know any birders around here who do. One of the reservoirs near to me (Chasewater) regularly gets over-wintering Great Northern Divers. There were three there this last winter. 3,700 is a lot of Red-throated Divers :)
Arthur Ransome called them Great Northerns, and that's good enough for me!

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Juvenile great northern was the best we could come up with using the books we have on board.
Google image search gave common loon. American name, I know but I quite like it; it reminds me of Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond, “The loons are back! The loons are back!” 🥹
Presently anchored by Havergate & just watched a pair or spoonbills stroll past.

johnalison

Visit site
Juvenile great northern was the best we could come up with using the books we have on board.
Google image search gave common loon. American name, I know but I quite like it; it reminds me of Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond, “The loons are back! The loons are back!” 🥹
Presently anchored by Havergate & just watched a pair or spoonbills stroll past.
The other day I saw an article on spoonbills that referred to their young as ‘teaspoons’.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Thanks, Concerto.
I had an Eeyore mug for years - bought, of course, by Mrs Knot. It came with me to numerous building sites and three boats.
I was broken hearted when it finally got so chipped I had to throw it away. 😂

Concerto

Visit site
Thought you might like these photos.

IMG_9676 1000pix.jpg
Eeyore thinks those clouds are full of rain. Luckily not on him in Brightlingsea. 22 June

IMG_9686 1000pix.jpg
Eeyore said it was too sunny and decide to stay by the chart plotter. He was not sure he liked the look of Middle Deep, it looked very deep and wet. 24 June

Concerto

Visit site
3 days hot days in a row.....whens the hose pipe ban start ?
Just asking !
Recently I moved from Kent to Cheshire. My neighbours have told me they have never had a hose pipe ban in the past 13 years. Concerto will be on the East Coast until early September and then after the Southampton Boat Show Concerto will be moving to N Wales. So no more hose pipe bans for me.