?⛵️. Expats, Liveaboards & Long Term Cruising Overseas - The Future????✅

What will you do

• Nothing, will continue with their current life style.

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Return to their original home country

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Move from their current location to another country, other than their home country.

• If still in the UK, continue with their dream.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • If still in the UK, modify their plan to become a liveaboard in the UK.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • If still in the UK, bin the whole idea and invest in on board central heating.

• Other (just incase I have missed a cunning plan).

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

Tony Cross

Visit site
TBH I'm rather glad we're no longer liveaboards but just landlubber expats. Covid has just made the Brexit debacle worse for long-term and full-time cruising sailors IMO.

We got ourselves sorted re Brexit some time ago and are safe whatever the UK does or doesn't do. There is no way we'd ever go back, you see the UK in a different way when you're looking in from outside.

davethedog

Visit site
The dreaded B word is looking likely to make us change our plans, as I feel that we are going to end up with the same schengen zone limits the USA etc have. So looking at getting residency in Gran Canaria (Spanish) that will then allow us to use mainland Spain as our "base" if we decide to do the med. We will have to pay more tax than at present but we will see.
DTD

nortada

Visit site
Looking at the results of the poll is is interesting to see how different they are from other sources, which suggests that the forum is not an accurate reflection of the real world.

Crisby

Visit site
I think perhaps, that the forum is just an accurate reflection of the forum. For it to be any different your other sources would have to join the forum and engage with the poll.

Maybe there are more like minded souls on here than not

Chris

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Interesting question. We went cruising 20 years ago but have now been back in the UK for six years, still living aboard. I don't see the sort of cruising that we were able to do possible for the foreseeable future. It was already becoming much more problematic and I fear that the arrival of Covid 19 will have severely limited it further. And with the chaos of Brexit I wonder whether it will even be possible to get to Europe on a small boat- we are the laughing stock of Europe with the way we have dealt with the crisis, and barring a miracle, why would they let us in??
I watch with interest and relief that we took the opportunity to cruise when we did!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No matter what people think now it could all change in a few months , if some how the virus died away ,
even the people who say now they looking at going back or stop cruising will probably just carry on doing what they doing and fine away around BX .
We are in the minds of heading back but not because of the virus or BX but more of a need to get temporary medical help and as we just spend a week going from doctor to doctor just to get a test done and still not been able to get that small matter sorted , going back may be our only options if the test needs to backed up by treatment.
But it only be for a while .

I believe most people who cruise in say one country ( Greece, Portugal,Spain ) have registered with that country ,
Cruisers like myself will just carry on and find a way around BX even if it mean leaving the EU for some time play the EU dance as some will know it , other brits will bring plains of crossing the pond will bring their plain forward.
and the once that only spend a few month out on there boats going back to the UK in the hottest months BX isnt going to be a problem.
So cruising life will just carry on.
I think the virus is a much bigger problem then need BX , if it don't slow down , fad away and no cure is found then the problem isn't only going to be only for us cruisers, which is a much worrying problem.

Yngmar

Visit site
We'll wait and see for now. We've re-flagged the boat, which was a pain in the ass in terms of paperwork, costs and hassle and grudgingly threw our red ensign in the bin this week (too tattered to give away). We're luckily both EU citizens.

If borders open up, we'd like to continue cruising some more, we only had a couple years so far and don't feel done yet, but if it gets all too annoying we'll go build a nice little house somewhere with a garden, which seems better suited for sitting out future lockdowns than on a boat.

davethedog

Visit site
We do not plan on reflagging the boat and plan to return to the UK in about 5 years and then change the boat for something bigger and then head round the world. At least that is the current plan.

nortada

Visit site
I think Brexit and the inept handling of CV-19 has made it far more likely that we will not return to the UK when I retire in a couple of years (oh, and the better weather, quality of life, cheap (but good) wine, friendliness of the locals, lower cost of living, lower crime rate............)

Been retired 20 years and rather than a plan from day one, our current strategy gently evolved.

Initially we filled our boots with sailing and teaching sailing but then, partly to avoid the UK winters, we headed south - destination unknown. Again loads more sailing and very little time in the UK but after a few years we parked the boat in Portugal and fell into the current life style of winter in Portugal and summer in the UK.

We sold our house in the UK but kept a positive presence in the old country. We even bought a second boat to play with during the summer months.

The future - who knows? Watching others, for the final Act the majority return to their original abode. At that stage of life the weather is not as important as being close to family and the familiarity of old surroundings become increasingly reassuring.

Us? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
For those able to do so, head to Portugal this year. Residence can be had within a week or so, free entry into health system, EHIC card covering other EU States and no 90/180 day limit throughout the EU. No effect on UK residence or tax status either.

Is this 100% true, including the EHIC and no Shengen travel limit?

If so we plan to be in Portugal by September.

- W

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Is this 100% true, including the EHIC and no Shengen travel limit? If so we plan to be in Portugal by September. - W

I've had permanent residence for some time (had to do the 5 year first) have Portuguese EHIC card and in health system. Others who have been granted the 5 year residence recently can advise on how to go about it. The EU sent me this email about 90/180 travel restrictions -

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

nortada

Visit site
I've had permanent residence for some time (had to do the 5 year first) have Portuguese EHIC card and in health system. Others who have been granted the 5 year residence recently can advise on how to go about it. The EU sent me this email about 90/180 travel restrictions -

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

Graham,

Many thanks for spelling it all out so clearly and all of the work you have done on the Schengen situation (and loads of other things).

With Temporary (5 year) Portuguese Residency, I am one of the newbies Graham refers to so can possibly answer any questions you may have.

Additionally I have an electronic copy of the 4 page application form, which is in Portuguese and English.

If you want this form or further details please PM me.

Last edited: