Yachting Youtube channels

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Life is too short to watch sailing videos, or any videos. I only watch Panope - when someone points me at it. Maybe once a year I watch a Halcyon vid. I did some anodising recently - and checked some detail on 2 vids.

Sorry but I'd rather do than watch others doing it.

Normally, I would agree with you.
However, this has not been a normal year.
Watching YouTube videos I have learned/picked up quite a few things.
Things you'd normally learn over a few pints in a bar or a cockpit.

lustyd

Visit site
want to flog something (like some/most of the US sailing YouTube channels).

Good point, we've not mentioned Tom Cunliffe - his channel is very much an advert for his sponsors, but a lot around these parts like him. He's not from the US though...

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Good point, we've not mentioned Tom Cunliffe - his channel is very much an advert for his sponsors, but a lot around these parts like him. He's not from the US though...

I watched a couple of his videos and found them not very relevant.

I like watching videos made by people who just want to share something.
When they come to rely on YouTube to replenish their cruising kitty (urging you to 'subscribe, like, etc... every couple of minutes) or those who go in for blatant product placement I tend to switch off.
Those with the begging bowl (Paetreon) are the worst.

lustyd

Visit site
I’m ok with the patreon and subs stuff. I like watching energetic young people doing stuff I can only dream about. Not many of those are independently wealthy enough not to have an income source. In the old days they’d have written for magazines or books, these days fewer middlemen and its YouTube revenue. That’s fine by me

roblpm

Visit site
Is that still considered essential these days?

Well seems to me most of the people on these channels who cross oceans have them. I can see the point but if you cross one ocean every couple of years and spend the rest of the time on shorter passages then maybe it isn't necessary? Then again, electrical failure and a few days hand steering I think is potentially pretty dangerous?

roblpm

Visit site
I watched a couple of his videos and found them not very relevant.

I like watching videos made by people who just want to share something.
When they come to rely on YouTube to replenish their cruising kitty (urging you to 'subscribe, like, etc... every couple of minutes) or those who go in for blatant product placement I tend to switch off.
Those with the begging bowl (Paetreon) are the worst.

Why though? Bands make music and try and sell it? People make films and try and sell it? People write magazine articles and try and sell them? If you enjoy watching them I think bunging then a few quid is surely OK. And anyway you don't have to?

lustyd

Visit site
You don't think he was calm while bailing out the sinking boat recently? Looks very relaxed to me

Bajansailor

Visit site
How to Sail Oceans ( single-handed, gaff cutter, blue water)

Wind Hippie Sailing ( Young woman, Holly Martin, crossing the Pacific, solo on a budget)

Sailing Embla (my mate Terje, presently in Lofoten, liveaboard with dog and girlfriend, and heading North)

Re Wind Hippie Holly, here is a link to her channel -
https://www.youtube.com/windhippiesailing

And her webpage -
Gecko Sailing

And her first video - she bought an old Danish Grinde 26' yacht, pretty much gutted and re-built it (with a little bit of help from her Dad I think, but just a bit) in Maine, and then sailed singlehandedly to the Caribbean. She is now in the Pacific......

And some info about her Grinde -
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grinde

I met her parents here 32 years ago (long before Holly had been thought of) when they arrived in Barbados on their little Cal 25 called 'Direction' from the Canaries. Dave had gutted (literally) and re-built Direction in the USA and then sailed singlehanded to England - I think he spent some time working as a boatbuilder at Moodys on the Hamble - met his future wife Jaja along the way somewhere, and then headed south.
I remember thinking then that a Cal 25 seemed to be rather small for 2 people to live on...... - here is some more info on this class.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-25
I subsequently bumped into them again 6 years later in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua. In the meantime they had been around the world with Direction, had two children on the way, kid #3 was due soon, and they had finally decided that maybe a Cal 25 was going to be a bit small for 5 of them to live on - so they sailed to the USA, bought an old steel 33' yacht, re-fitted her and sailed to high latitudes (Greenland, Iceland and Norway) where they spent several years living onboard even during the winters.
Here is a nice article about them in Good Old Boat - I have also attached a copy below.
https://www.goodoldboat.com/pdfs/JF05MartinDream.pdf

They used to have a nice series of articles on Setsail about their adventures, but these have all now disappeared :( - there is only a brief bio left now.
https://setsail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/itl_bio.pdf

Not a Youtube channel, but a nice blog here which I enjoy following -
The Old Woman and the Sea – Arliss Ryan
I met Arliss and her hubby Eric here 40+ years ago after they had crossed the Atlantic in a little Danish built Bianca 27 (similar in a way to a Halcyon 27). And I then bumped into Eric by chance in Newport, Rhode Island about 10 years later when I wandered into his yacht design office to see what it was like (I didn't know he was a naval architect when I had previously met him here). I mentioned I was from Barbados, and the penny dropped, and he remembered meeting me here 10 years earlier. And we had a nice chat about boat design, and stayed in touch.
Here is a link to his current website - he is now retired, and he and Arliss are now sailing slowly around the world (they are currently in Australia) on one of his first sailboat designs, a 32' yacht called Corroboree with a free standing mast (similar concept to a Freedom - Eric used to be the chief designer at Freedom Yachts before he set up on his own).
https://www.ericwsponberg.com/

Attachments

• Direction rebuild article - Dave & Jaja in GOB.pdf
    623.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
Following on from my previous post re Holly's family, here is a nice article about them in Good Old Boat.
It is not plagiarised - it was available as a free PDF download at the time from their website, but I cannot find a link to it there now.
However the PDF is almost 2 MB in size, and there seems to be a limit of about 1 MB on attachments here - I could not attach it.
So here it is, as individual pages.
It was all very different 30 years ago, when Dave & Jaja set off - no internet or email, no mobile phones, how did they survive a trip around the world? :)

Direction - Setting priorities P 1.jpg

Direction - Setting priorities P 2.jpg

Direction - Setting priorities P 3.jpg

Direction - Setting priorities P 4.jpg

Manosk

Visit site
Also on youtube SAM HOLMES SAILING Its about a young American having sailed from Los Angeles to Hawaii on a 23ft
sailboat and now outfitting his next boat , a Cape Dory 28

HissyFit

Visit site
My top 6 have all been mentioned already: Adventures of an old Seadog, RAN Sailing, Sailing Uma, Sail Life, Sailing Yacht Florence, Free Range Sailing

I'll give a shout out for two more:
Sailing Yacht Talisman. American couple, Kevin and Wendy bought an Oyster 485 in Scotland, refitted her and spent a good time around the Med before joining the ARC and heading back Stateside. They haven't posted as regularly more recently, but the output was always a good mix of enjoying the places they visited and the necessary boat work.

Sailboat Story: American family in search of new, larger boat, having sold their previous boat after a season around the Windies and Caribbean. Good travelogue and humorous.