Why the Advert?

Bergman

Visit site
Yacht racing does not interest me, but having been irritated by the advert when logging on I looked at the Volvo web-site.

Does anyone share my disappointment that none of the competing boats are British?

Unless I have missed something not a Red Ensign to be seen, appart from the Bermudian one.

Have we lost the plot or does this race no longer have any significance.

Did it ever?

Oh well I hope they all get round safely.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
What Nationality

Most of the designs ar Farr (NZ), crews look to be an internationally mixed bunch but a lot of NZers as well. How do you tell what nationality they are, by the registered yacht clubs, head offices of the sponsors, home nationality of the skipper or what? Anyway I thought the Aussies and NZers and Canadians were British and as well there are a bunch from the UK, what else do you want? Lets face, it once these races were an ego trip for nationality and patiriotism. Nowadays with the EU and all that PC handholding it is an ego trip for the international company promoters, and no doubt the publicity outweighs the financial input. Let's just enjoy the futility of the race and the skills of the yachtsmen. Oh yes, I see that Grant Dalton (a NZ skipper in the Volvo) was awarded some international yachtsman thingy at Monarco the other day. Was that for the speeding ticket he got in his round the world non stop boat?

Bergman

Visit site
Re: What Nationality

Apart from Nautor I don't recognise any of the sponsors names either.

I accept what you say about the international nature of the crews, as for the boats my only source was the web site which showed a national flag for most of the boats, but none of them British.
I am not sure the Aussies and Kiwis would agree that they are really British. The Kiwis appear to have a substantial representation, I bet if they win they are all patriotic and chauvanistic about it.
Unless the sponsors get more out of it than BT did out of their round the world race I doubt they will come back for more. Do you remember the wave of fervent apathy that greeted the finish of that event.
BT dropped it like a hot brick, I suppose with their debts and share price they can find a better home for the cash.

We'll just have to see how they get on, rather them than me is my position.

BrianJ

Visit site
Re: What Nationality

Spot on....neither Aussies or Kiwis are BRITISH, Hope you noticed JJT that I didn't get upset at your posting. Actually I was away and didn't read it till now. I know you are just stirring me.
FYI sailing season starts in 8 days...great.
brianj

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Only when it\'s convenient.

Kiwis, Canadians, Aussies, South Africans, Rhodesians and a number of other undesirables are definitly British when it is convenient. Remembere wher they all came from originally. Remember who rushed in for WWII, who were they under the command of [well the Aussies got the huff and went home part way thru]. Just look at the flags, uniform buttons, insignia, uniforms of armed services, especially Navy, all with the "Royal" part as well. The Royal NZ Navy did not exist until 1942, up until then it was a division of the Royal Navy. Canada is still tied to the UK for legal things and so to is NZ. British, yes as long as it is to quell the natives, somewhere to put the poor and petty criminals, expand the Empire, plunder the colonies. But when you or your decendants want to come "Home", 'well sorry we just remembered, you are not British after all and I think that you are probably taited with some of the local rif raf'.

Well so much for the politics. I hear that the Aussies are looking for a team of tall guys who can play basketball. Does that stir you up enough BJ? Like you, I am looking forward to the sailing season. Woops hope my colours aren't showing, but as you may gather I am south of the equator at the moment.