VG Tactics 2020...

Mudisox

Visit site
Are they all hoping to go West of the Low below the Azores? I find it interesting that the folk who went inside the TCC didn't lose out as I expected. I am surprised that the foilers haven't come int their wont any great degree yet.
The Windy site is a good one for the wind.

RobbieW

Visit site
Looks like a large slow moving low out W of the Canaries, they look to be going N and W of that at the moment. Should be on the smoother water side of that wind

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Looks like a large slow moving low out W of the Canaries, they look to be going N and W of that at the moment. Should be on the smoother water side of that wind
It's a named tropical storm, Theta, slowly moving E-NE

I made this yesterday, they are trying to keep trying to run downhill to the west of the yellow/orange band

VG1011.gif

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PN2kC11Z...3-K4LkftQ9lJtrtF9ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1088/VG1011.gif

cherod

Visit site
Their aim is now to remain in contact with the windier area just west of the undulating front, let the jibing begin :)

5fac1e49040dbf4faf07df3e.jpg
i know it is early doors but Mayenne and Le Cam are doing well with non funny looking boats ( foilers :) )

dunedin

Visit site
I thought that the "southern option" fleet, those who remained south of the TSS, would have lost ground: they are/were basically slower boats and so far are at the same positions as the foilers who went more decidedly west and have lost some pieces in the meantime.

What does “slower” actually mean. These are all extreme racing boats, but some of the latest foilers are more optimised for hurtling downwind which inevitably compromises them upwind compared to the more moderate older generation boats.
For example the “scow” bows will help lift downwind, but won’t help bashing into waves upwind.
So far, other than the start, it has been a slog upwind. Expect things to change now.

MikeBz

Visit site
I'm finding the forecast integrated into the tracker to be useful too, in part because its much easier to extrapolate boat tracks with both in the same view

How do you get the tracker to show forecast wind rather than just what is predicted for 'now' (or some point in the past if you rewind)? Maybe I should have asked this in the Tracker thread...

Martin_J

Visit site
I did think a chart scale would be useful. There is a lat/long grid overlay which might help with distance but using the ruler, bottom right wiggly icon, you can measure distance and work things out more easily.

MikeBz

Visit site
So now I'm able to wind the weather forward, the big question is how many of the fleet will get trapped in the big area of very light winds which is going to develop SW of their current position in 48-72 hours. Those that don't will get a big jump on those that do.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest